Chapter 21

Hey guys! i know I've updated this after.long so i suggest u all read the story again before reading this chapter. I think I'll end this story in the next chapter itself, because I am.starting to get more busy! if u liked this pls pls leave ur valuable comments.

Cabir made me sit down on the nearest chair, as if he was upset the news would make me faint or something.

"What is it?"

Cabir's normally jovial face became serious. "Whatever Im gonna say to you right now, just listen to it carefully..and don't panic." he said.

I was getting scared, yet I meekly nodded.

"Nandini.." Cabir began. With each passing second, I was becoming more scared. "Manik has a brain tumor."

For a moment I didn't know how to react. It felt that I couldn't react. I felt numb.

"See..its this tumor in his brain, that is unresectable...I mean..we thought its unresectable..Its slowly growing, the doctors tried so many approaches but ultimately decided not to do it because of the risks and give him only palliative therapy. That's why he wasn't in college for a month.. His symptoms got a little worse, uska PET scan we did. Thankfully there was no metastasis. So.. he's currently only on palliation. He's become like this person who only wants to live the rest of his acche se.. Thankfully, Nyonika through her contacts flew a doctor in from the UK..who said he has resected such tumors. He's won some award also..anyway in simpler terms, Manik is better now but he has no hope even from the UK doc. The doctor has come to India and his surgery is in three days."

All different emotions ran through me..Just when Cabir had told he had the tumor I felt my heart skipping a beat. Tumors, one always associates with a terminal illness..and to think of it Manik, had it!

I was stunned, shocked, for a moment I felt Cabir was lying to me...I didn't want to believe I had heard this..I didn't want to process the information.

I don't know when a stream of tears had started trickling down my cheeks. It's said when the heart is full, they eyes overflow..Its true, my heart was full from whatever it felt for Manik..I couldn't lose him! I just couldn't..

I stuttered . "You said a doctor from Uk." I managed to speak.

"Yes, Dr Steve.. He's really good. He has done this surgery few times before and all his patients are healthy." Cabir spoke affirmatively.

"So... there's hope?" I asked. Whenever we are put in a situation, we tend to look at what's bad than what's right. Shouldn't it be the other way round? I'd had enough of tragedies in life to be focussing on the good anyway.

"Yes." He nodded. "There is..But who's gonna talk to Manik? He's become like this person who wants to live his life in the limited number of days that he thinks he has."

I remembered our conversation from the previous night. He did speak about this.

I tried redirecting my mind to focus on the positive in this situation. There was a good chance Manik would survive this. But I just couldn't. I'd lost so many close people..that I couldn't hope... and I couldn't lose Manik. I knew it when I first saw him.He was different, and he was special..This couldn't be happening.

"Nandini." Cabir placed his hands around my shoulder. "I know this is a big blow for you, but there's still hope okay? Manik has consented to the surgery, and I am very hopeful that there wont be any issue after the surgery. He might have to undergo chemotherapy though..But he'll live. Trust the doctor."

Tears were still streaming down my cheeks. I couldn't stop..It felt like my emotions were overflowing or something.

"Manik's surgery is in three days. We are hoping everything will be okay."