Chapter 8: Miles Away

Nandini:

It was going to be a busy life ahead but somehow I liked being busy rather than sitting idle. It helped me divert myself from random thoughts and focus on something better. Quickly, I got ready for the day and made my way to the college. I was to meet Navya directly at the college and since I was pretty good with directions, it didn't take me time to reach the college without asking for the exact location. This was something I was proud about. I had a sharp memory.

As I reached, Navya called me to inform that she was not going to attend the first lecture because she had to go out with her parents. It was weird. Anyway, I didn't pay attention to it and instead walked into the college after saying a silent prayer so as to not make me encounter that giant.

But destiny planned it otherwise. I saw him. He was sitting on the same set of stairs as that of yesterday and fiddling with his phone. This time I saw him from the back side and I very well knew it was him thanks to his enormous size, and his tousled hair which were waiting to be combed yet made him look really hot. Okay, wait. I wasn't supposed to notice all this.He was going through some photos in his phone and it didn't take me long to recognize the girl in those pictures. Alya. Cabir was right. He really was a devdas.

But wait, I had planned to stay away from him and not get into his business but alas my plan foiled even before its commencement and before I could leave from the music wing the heel of my sandal magically broke and I almost slipped.

I helped myself by holding on to the railing, but this did NOT go unnoticed by him. As soon as I gasped involuntarily, he turned to look towards me and immediately got up. I was too busy caressing my head which was a little hurt due to dashing a little with the railing while Manik quickly came close to me and offered to help.

"No thank you." I muttered and adjusted myself properly so that I could very well stand on my feet without anyone's help.

I wanted to leave, but Manik looked in a better condition than what he was yesterday. There was no confusion. He was again back to being vulnerable, someone who deserved sympathy. The same person I had seen the first time and not the bipolar one.

"Waise you know what?" I thought of infusing some pearls of wisdom into him. "Looking at those pictures is not going to help in any way. Find better ways to move on !"

I saw his eyes being fixed on me and the next second his brow corrugated. It wasn't a good sign. I gulped. He had these intense pair of eyes which could give you chills.

Manik:

"Looking at those pictures is not going to help in any way ! Find better ways to move on !" She said in a commanding tone.

This girl !? What did she think of herself ? After making me almost lose my sanity regarding that apology yesterday she had the audacity to come up and lecture me on what had to be done and what not to ! Her words in no way did me any good instead just made me a little more infuriated. First, she leads me to saying a sorry, then she makes me think regarding it as well, and when I'm finally not thinking about it she decides to pop in from somewhere and share her not so valuable advice with me ! I didn't want to be given tips of moving on especially by her.

I held her wrist as firmly as I could and creases appeared on her forehead. I don't know why but I felt I had some right on her, and I could do that without her protesting.

I pinned her to the wall nearby and made sure our faces were centimetres apart. I didn't like the way she was reacting to my touch ! She didn't even look at me in the eye for gods sake !

"M..manik.." She stammered . I felt her breath getting heavy and that's when peace crossed me. She was reacting. Somehow, somewhere her reaction felt good. Somewhere deep down.