➤ FIFTEEN

Chapter 15 ➤ Klaus [1]

★★★

Elena let out a heavy sigh, her gaze fixed on the motionless figure of the vampire before her, waiting for any sign of life. Her heart leaped in surprise as she heard a gasp escape his lips, and she hurried over to him, her eyes widening when she saw the shock on his face as he looked at her.

"Katerina!" his voice rang out in disbelief, filled with a mixture of astonishment and confusion.

Elijah closed his eyes, trying to steady his breathing, but as Elena approached him, his body began to convulse involuntarily. Gasping for air, he struggled to his feet, his panic evident in his voice. "I can't—I can't breathe! What's happening to me?"

He stumbled towards the door, only to collide with it, the realization dawning on Elena. "You're not invited in."

"Then get me out of here," he pleaded, desperation coloring his tone.

★★★

The sudden intrusion into her peaceful moment made Hela's head snap towards the door, her expression contorted in furious anger. However, as she caught sight of Stefan's panicked expression, her furrowed eyebrows softened slightly. "What now?"

"Have you seen Elena?" Stefan's voice was urgent, his eyes searching Hela's face for any sign of information.

Hela rolled her eyes in irritation. "I don't know, she's your girlfriend, isn't she?"

Shaking his head, Stefan turned to leave her room, the door left ajar in his haste. Hela quickly followed suit, striding purposefully towards the living room where Andie was currently situated.

Andie jumped in shock at Hela's sudden appearance, offering an awkward chuckle. "Oh, hey."

Ignoring her, Hela brushed past Andie, her eyes scanning the room while Stefan continued calling out for Elena and Damon, the two of them engrossed in their own private world of affection.

However, Hela's attention was drawn to the open basement door, a frown creasing her brow as she investigated further. To her surprise, her old friend was nowhere to be found.

"No, she didn't," Hela stated with certainty, turning to face her brothers who looked at her in shock.

"Yeah, she did," she confirmed, her voice tinged with concern.

★★★

The car ride was shrouded in an awkward silence, both Elena and Elijah at a loss for words after the recent events. Elena's gaze flickered towards Elijah, her voice barely above a whisper. "You look better."