6 | h o l o g r a m s

[1.3]

"you look like the popular girl in pretty much every movie ever"

The audience stared up at Julie with wide eyes, muttering amongst themselves

The audience stared up at Julie with wide eyes, muttering amongst themselves. The young girl could do nothing but awkwardly smile down at them, unsure of what to do now. There was nothing that the four ghosts could do as they stood to the side of the stage and watched.

After a moment, the guy who ran the sound and lights for the spirit rally rushed on stage. "Hey, where'd the rest of the band go?"

"Wait, where those holograms?" one of the girls who was a part of Dirty Candy asked. She was the one in the color purple.

"Yes!" Julie exclaimed, pointing at the girl in purple. "Yes, they were holograms. Um, I plugged them into the ceiling projector before the show. I'd explain it, but it involves algorithms and science stuff."

The crowd quickly believed the lie, and they started to clap and cheer for Julie. She smiled and waved at them, glad that she didn't have to try and explain the situation further. The four ghosts watched from the side, staring at the crowd.

"That's wild," Luke said, still high from the excitement of the performance. "They could see us when we were playing, but not when the music ended."

"We should double-check," Reggie told them. Then he hopped up on stage and shook his butt in a circular motion while looking back at the crowd. Mickey covered her mouth to keep from laughing, but other than that, no one in the crowd seemed to see him. Mickey did notice Carrie glancing at her with a frown on her face, but she didn't react to Reggie's little show. "Yeah, I don't... I don't think they can see us."

"I wish I couldn't see you," Alex mumbled as Reggie got off the stage. 

"Okay, people, show's over," the Principal announced. "Let's get back to class please."

The crowd started to disperse, leaving Julie alone on stage. Mickey walked closer to Carrie, where she was talking to the purple girl from her group. She seemed upset with her. "What was that? Were those holograms? What even is that? What was that?"

Mickey tried to wave at her, but only received a short glare before Carrie and her friend were stalking off. Reggie noticed the pout on her lips and wrapped an arm around her to comfort her, despite not knowing what had upset her. They followed Luke and Alex into the hallway to wait for Julie while she spoke with her music teacher. After a couple of minutes of Luke just talking excitedly, Mickey spotted the pink wig around the corner.

"Be right back!" she said quickly before flashing away from the guys — she was gone so quickly that Reggie couldn't even complain about her leaving.

Mickey flashed in front of Carrie, who was opening her locker in the pretty much empty hallway. Carrie flinched, still not accustomed to the fact that she was a ghost. But then, the younger girl narrowed her eyes.