7 | c o m p e t i t i v e

[1.3]

"i mean, i know i was so busy being angry, but even i could see the chemistry"

When Mickey flashed to the Wilson residence, instead of appearing right in Carrie's room, she instead appeared in front of the door

When Mickey flashed to the Wilson residence, instead of appearing right in Carrie's room, she instead appeared in front of the door. She thought it best to tread lightly given Carrie's angry mood from earlier. Micky stuck her hand through the door and knocked on it from the other side — it was a way to respect Carrie's privacy and also let her know just who was knocking.

After a few seconds and some shuffling on the other end, Carrie yanked her door open. She still looked at Mickey with a sour look on her face but did let her into the room. Carrie quickly marched back over to her bed and sat down with her arms crossed.

"I thought I told you to leave me alone," she said, turning to look at her computer screen instead of the ghosts.

"I know, but I wanted to see if you were okay. You seemed really upset after the spirit rally, and I wasn't sure why. I mean, your performance was so awesome. I thought you would've been in a great mood."

"Yeah, Dirty Candy did amazing, but then Julie and your little ghost band stole the show!" she snapped. "We worked really hard on that song, but everyone forgot it as soon as they saw you guys."

"Oh, I'm sorry," Mickey said, frowning. She walked over and sat on Carrie's bed. "I didn't mean for that to happen. We weren't even supposed to play with her. It was just supposed to be her on the piano so she could try to get back in the music program."

Carrie rolled her eyes. "Yeah, which she did. Mrs. Harrison handed her spot back despite the fact that Julie didn't deserve it."

Mickey studied Carrie, who was pouting and looking down at her bed, clearly annoyed. "Do you mind me asking why you don't like Julie so much?"

Carrie paused for a moment before sighing. "We used to be friends — best friends actually. We grew up together and were always at each other's houses. My dad and her mom have been close since he was a teenager. I mean, my dad was even the one to get Julie into rock music in the first place."

"Then why'd you guys stop being friends? I couldn't imagine fighting with any of the guys so bad that we would stop talking completely."

"Her mom died last year," Carrie said, biting her lip. "And that's - it's not what caused it though. After that, Julie just completely pushed me out. She kept isolating herself from me. And yeah, I know she was upset about her mom, but she didn't do that with Flynn, our other best friend. It was just me."

"Oh," Mickey mumbled. On one hand, she couldn't blame Julie. Everyone dealt with grief in their own way, but she couldn't imagine how lonely it must have been for Carrie to lose her two best friends at the same time.

"And not only that but after Julie's mom died, my dad went through a rough time too. She was his friend from before he got famous. He's getting a little better, but for a long time, he just wouldn't talk to me. I started Dirty Candy as a way to get my mind off of everyone in my life leaving. And I worked really hard for us to be as good as we are today. I also work really hard in the music program."