14.

“Do you know how many people get pregnant from their first time?” stated Hazel in disbelief. “Heather’s sister is pregnant.”

 “What?” Denise snorted. “You mean her seventeen year old sister?”

“Yes! She has had sex once and the girl is pregnant,” Hazel gawked while Denise couldn’t stop her fit of laughter. “You stop laughing, Denise! One, it’s sad because she’s so young. Two, her first time…”

Rose was half listening since something clicked when Hazel started talking about Heather’s little sister’s pregnancy. She and Raphael hadn’t used protection once. 

“Rose, are you alright?” Hazel asked as she noticed Rose’s thoughts were somewhere far away. 

“Mhm, yeah,” she stammered. “I got to go, I’ll call you guys later.” And with that she left. 

“Raphael!” she exclaimed as soon as she entered his office. He looked up at her, waiting for her to speak. “We didn’t use protection!”

“How are you just now finding out?” he wondered monotony, keeping his eyes on the files on his desk. 

“I don’t know… but you knew! Why didn’t you do or say anything? I might be pregnant!”

“Rose,” he started, leaning forward in his chair and actually making eye contact with her. “How many times have we had sex for you to find this out just now? Last time I checked, I wasn’t having sex with myself.”

“I don’t know!” she yelled. “But I don’t want to be pregnant!”

“Why not?”

She stared at him for a while, being surprised his was this serious about it. “Uh, you hate children, that’s one.”

“Not if they’re ours.”

She was really confused at that point. Somehow it turned her on, knowing that he wasn’t some coward who’d freak out once he found out he had gotten someone pregnant. “I don’t know if you’re trying to be cute or something, but this is not working.”

He scowled at her. “What do I want to be cute for?”

“You’re so annoying sometimes,” she groaned. She was still shocked that he was not freaking out about this one bit. “You need to start wearing condoms, because I’m not ready to have a child.”

“If you’re so bothered, why don’t you go on birth control? There are many options. The pill isn’t that hard, now is it?”

“And I don’t like taking pills!” she retorted. “As long as you don’t wear condoms, I’m not going to have sex with you. Simple as that.”

Now he stared at her for a while, trying to figure out if she was serious and she was. 

“Golden rubbers,” he finally said. 

“What?”

“Condoms.” And his eyes went back to his files. 

“You need me to go buy them for you too?” she grimaced. 

He nodded. “You want me to wear them,” he replied simply and smiled when she groaned in response. “See you tonight.”

“Mom,” she panicked on the phone. 

“Sweetie?”

“Promise you won’t tell dad,” Rose added and April agreed. “I think I’m pregnant…”

After a long silence, her mom finally replied, “You think or you know?”