«joe who?»

"karl," i pick up my phone and scroll through twitter, "do you have my number? do you want it?"

"huh? oh. sure!" karl smiles back as i open my phone app.

"it's," i pause, "1(***)-***-****, don't get it mixed up with my boyfriend joe," hopefully he falls for it.

"wait what? who's joe," karl says, his voice mixed with worry and sadness, "oh no."

"JOE MAMA!" i scream at the top of my lungs, "SORRY ADRIANNA!"

"oh my gosh. what the honk deja," karl says, his voice calmer now than before, "okay it was good, but you had me worried i was breaking up a relationship,"

"nope, my last relationship was like 5 months ago! i'm over him," i lied. my voice wavered but i could just say it's my mic. maybe karl knew. maybe he was just being nice, "it ended nicely and smooothly," he knows.

"oh that's good!" karl says back cheerfully. i get a text from an unknown number. it has the same area code as my mom.

~texts~

1(***)***-****
Is this deja? It's karl.

ˢᵗⁱⁿᵏʸ
this is her

karl
Stinky? That's a weird contact name

ˢᵗⁱⁿᵏʸ
oh my gosh you should change that

karl
I will dw 😁
1 image attached
shawty bae
wow. this is worse.

~irl~

"shawty bae?" i groan as i read the image karl sent me, "well. to make this better, i used to live in the same area code as you!"

"wait really?" karl squeals, his voice kiddish and curious.

"yeah! before i had got my first phone i moved, but my mom had the same area code," i smile happily, holding my accomplishment high.

"i wonder if we ever saw eachother!" karl says, the same kid like tone in his voice.

"i mean, i used to have a friend named carl, but that was with a c. atleast i think it was. and his brother jacobs! but jacobs could never play," i reminisce about the past, remembering my childhood fondly. well. fondly enough, "his mom would yell, carl! jacobs! deja is here!"

"hmm, i don't remember anyone named deja, but i think i friend i called dee? i could never know how to say her name. it was weirdly spelt," karl says, a his chair squeaks, making me believe he leant back in it.

"jesus karl. we knew eachother! karl and jacobs were the same person. oh my god. karl jacobs. jesus christ i'm dumb," i slap my forehead as i hear a crashing in the background.

"yes! did you move when you were like, 9 or 10?" karl as, getting up from the ground.

"i- karl are you alright?" i soften my voice subconsciously as my maternal instincts move in, "and yes, i did move,"

"it was you!" karl said as he lifted up his chair.

"karl! are you sure you're okay, i don't want you to get hurt," my eyes start to water a little and i sniffle. fuck periods.

"are you okay deja? it sounds like you're crying," karl said, his voice also softening.

"i'm fine, it's just- girl stuff," i said, still sniffling.

"oh, you're okay deja, don't worry, i'm not hurt," karl cooes, his voice quiet and hushed contrasting his loud tone earlier.

====================================
one time
(i wasn't on my period, but i was badly sunburnt)
i started sobbing,
like sobbing sobbing,
because my dad said i looked sunburnt.
also yeah! hoped you like it.
it wont be released for a while
11/3/20

VOTE!