XVII - With a New Purpose (Pt.1)

italics means it is a flashback

bold means someone's thinking and having inner thoughts

"quotation marks" means someone is speaking out loud.

~~~~~~

The café themed around the Fresh Snow Pokémon was light up in every corner. It presented a welcoming and cozy atmosphere. A type of place and person could enter and let their worries melt away like ice cream.

"A table for four please?" The Ice Type Gym Leader asked the waiter. She bowed as she went behind the counter into a deeper section of the building. 

"Why'd she go back there?" Ash muttered to himself. On his shoulder, Pikachu tilted his head in agreement. "Pika Pika..." 

However, the young trainer didn't dwell on it long, he was in awe at the sight of the café. After all, he hadn't been to many fancy places after the passing of his father. Despite that, he wasn't poor in the slightest. Out of respect for his father, the Poké Interpool compensated him and his Mom with a whopping 93.4 Billion Yen. Unsure of what they would do what that sort of money, Delia offered up a third of the money to charity.  This sudden compensation is what allowed Ash to even apply to Route 103 Highschool in the first place. 

"Uhm. Mister Hyzokin?" Ash politely asked the grown man. It was a completely different attitude from when he first spoke to him. "If we're gonna be talking about some important stuff regarding the region, is it really safe to discuss it in a café?"

Hyzokin was at first taken aback by the boy's gentle demeanor, but he proceeded to smile and gave a wink. "Well, my boy, do you notice any other customers here?" It was true. Ash looked around and saw how barren the entire building was. Even if it was late at night, this place is supposed to be a hotspot of the city. 

"And," Hyzokin continued, "we won't be dining out here in the open." He walked behind the counter to where the waiter had disappeared. He signaled to the group that it was okay to enter. 

Inside the room behind the store was a large library with shelves covering each wall. Everything was made from a nice, rich brown wood that seemed to shine. In the middle of the room was a nice wooden table with a single candle on it which was the light source for the entire room. 

Wait a minute. Ash thought to himself. Where's that waiter? His train of thoughts was interrupted when the boy's mother spoke up. 

"Hey, Hyzokin." Delia started. "This is very nice and all, but we should really start talking about-"

Hyzokin lifted his finger to tell Delia to stop her sentence. "We're not there yet," he said. "Go, Sandslash." After a bright flash of light, a Pokémon with a blue hide and ice-covered quills that resembled icicles was seen. 

Lillie gasped in excitement. "An Alolan Sandslash!" She exclaimed. She got down on her knees and hugged the Pokémon tightly. Ash pouted slightly. 

She didn't hug me like that. He thought to himself.

"I see. Are you a native of the Alolan region?" Hyzokin asked Lillie. Lillie nodded her head. 

"It's been a while since I was last home, so seeing something from Alola really made me happy..." Her cheeks warmed up after she realized what she had said. 

I wonder if she's related... They do look shockingly similar. Hyzokin said in his inner thoughts. Right then, Delia whispered something into his ear and it seemed his questions were answered. All the more incentive to reveal the truth. 

Hyzokin cleared his throat. "Now now, we have important things to discuss. Sandslash, use Icy Wind." Lillie stepped back as the Mouse Pokémon let out a gust of chilled air aimed at a specific area of the floor. After it was done its move, Hyzokin pulled out a knife and wedged it into the ground, revealing a trap door.