Chapter 8.

Daphne had beaten Juliet and Electra home. By the time the two girls had walked through the door, the Jones family was already sitting at the dinner table.

It was chili night, not Juliet's favorite dinner but she was fine with it as she casually took her seat and Electra awkwardly sat in the chair beside her. "Jules, who's your friend?" Jughead asked, too focused on the food to get a good look at the new girl.

"This is Electra. Electra, this my dad, Jughead." Juliet introduced before snatching cornbread off her brother's plate.

Cylus whacked his sister and she giggled. "Get your own cornbread." Cylus scowled.

"But it's more fun to take it from you." Juliet bit into the bread and Cylus grabbed her glass of milk and drank it.

"Hey!" Juliet protested.

"Now we're even." He replied simply.

Electra snickered, but stopped as she felt Betty's eyes on her. "I hope it's not any trouble that I stay for a while." She said sheepishly.

"You're fine, especially since it's chili night, help yourself." Juliet interjected.

Electra glanced from Juliet to Betty for the okay, but Betty seemed intent on making Electra squirm. "Go right ahead. There's plenty." Betty smiled tightly.

"Hi Electra! I'm Cylus." Cylus introduced himself from down the table.

Electra served herself a helping of dinner and smiled at the perky boy. "Hi Cylus, nice to meet you. How old are you?"

"Twelve. How old are you?"

Daphne snorted and Cylus glared at her. "I'm nineteen. Same as Juliet." Electra answered sweetly.

"Where are you from?" He asked curiously.

"Cylus, chill out." Juliet scolded.

"No, let her answer. I'm curious." Betty spoke and a chill shot down Electra's spine.

Debating whether or not she should lie, she decided against it. "I'm from Greendale, I moved here a few weeks ago." She challenged Betty's stare.

"Oh, interesting." Betty then stirred her chili and said nothing more.

"Mom." Juliet hissed, "what is your problem?"

"Me?" Betty said innocently, "I don't have a problem."

"Dad. Do something." Juliet turned to him.

Jughead looked up from his chili, "do what?"

"Make her stop. You guys are really being great hosts." Juliet said, her voice dripping with sarcasm.

"Oh, sorry. You'll have to excuse my wife, she doesn't usually act like this." Jughead apologized making Betty grumble to herself.

"It's ok." Electra answered like she wasn't a ball of nerves.

"What brought you to Riverdale?" Jughead asked.

"Family situation, I got kicked out. Figured I'd go somewhere to be away from them but I could still check in on my dad." Electra answered, playing with her chili bowl.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Is your dad sick?" Daphne looked at her sympathetically.

"No, just likes the drink."

"That's nice of you to want to check in on him even after he kicked you out. I wouldn't do that if mom or dad did that to me." Cylus lightened the mood making all the girls laugh.