6. Smitch of Vermillion Hue

The festivities of marriage started with the lively and musical Mehendi ceremony. The to-be bride and all the females including Guddan and Revati, gathered in the hall to adorn their hands with beautiful henna designs. Mehendi signifies the holy bond of matrimony, the affections connecting the couple. In the intricate design of the mehendi, females wrote the name of their husbands or love.

"Mam aapke haath mein kiska naam likhna hain?" The henna artist asked.

"Kuch bhi likho! A, B, C, D! Kuch bhi!" Guddan replied absentmindedly, ignorant of the rituals and their worth.

The artist, not getting her point, wrote 'A' on her palm, since it was the first alphabet she told.

A letter written by Destiny!

"Sorry!" Guddan apologised to Shefali as she collided with her on her way.

"It's okay." Shefali nodded, failing to notice that the name 'Akshat' had been wiped off her palm.
.
.
.
.
.

"Aise nehi hoga, glass ganda kar dogi tum! Mere haathon se pilo." Akshat shook his head as she struggled to lift up the glass using her elbows and forwarded her the water.

"Agar itni takleef hoti hain toh mehendi pehenti kyun ho?"

"Haathon mein mehendi lage hone se takleef toh hogi hi, itni si baat pe mehendi pehenna kyun chhode? Saari ladkiyaan mehendi pehenti hain, hum sabko pasand hain mehendi, aap nehi samjhenge."

"Whatever!" Akshat left, rolling his eyes.

"Guddan, teri mehendi ka rang toh bahot gehri hai! Tera pati tujhse bahot pyaar karega." Dadi smiled, checking on her mehendi.

"Hum yeh sab nehi maante!" Guddan shrugged with a deadpan face.

"Ab nehi maan rahi, baad mein pata chalega tujhe, ki main thik hi keh rahi thi."

"Dadi, kya aap bhi!"
_____________________________

After mehendi, came in tow the vibrant Haldi ceremony. The yellow colour of the turmeric is auspicious in nature and would usher in a life of peace, prosperity and togetherness for the couple.

Song and dances accompanied the Haldi ceremony, adding to it's essence. Guddan certainly enjoyed the performances as she danced elegantly with the music, a joyous smile playing on her lips. As she hopped on her feet, she lost her balance and flailed her hands helplessly to hold onto something and fortunately found one, dragging the hand down with her. Akshat, who had stood nearby, presently toppled into the bucket of turmeric water, painted yellow by her.

"Kanha, tu jo karta hain bhale ke liye hi karta hain. Ab mujhe yakeen ho gaya hain ki Guddan hi Lalla ka humsafar hain!" Dadi smiled at the duo, smeared in haldi.

Akshat stepped out of the bucket and glowered at her before storming out.

"Guddan! Yeh kya kiya tumne? Aj aur Shefali ki haldi thi aur tumne apni haldi mana li?!" Durga exclaimed in disgust.

"Hay hay! Sab kharab kar diya is ladki ne!" Lakshmi accused.

"Yeh jo raita tumne failaya hain, ise tum kaise sametogi? Ab Shefali ki haldi ka kya?" Durga asked as she held her wrist.

"Bechari se galti ho gayi, har ek se hota hain, jaane de Durga." Dadi spoke up, irritated.

"Par Dadi.." Durga tried to speak.