7. Lakshmi steps in

"M..Mummy?!" She gasped, stupefied.

"Manhoos, aur kitna satayegi mujhe?! Bachpan se tune mera jeena mushkil kar rakha hain, badkeesmati ban ke aayi hain tu humare zindegi mein! Ab main logon ko kya muh dikhaungi? Nehi bol tu mujhe, kya bataungi main, yehi ki meri laalchi beti ne itti si umar mein paison ke liye shaadi kar li, woh bhi dhoke se?! Tu na ek aakhri upkaar kar de humpe, aage se apni yeh shakal mat dikhana hume! Main toh kahungi ki doob mar kahi!!" Kaushalya roared, dripping with anger.

"Mummy, kam se kam aap toh aisa mat kahiye. Aisa karna humari majboori thi..... P..Papa, aap toh jaante haina, ki hum sach keh rahe hain?" Her voice shook as she asked him.

Bhushan didn't answer, his muddled thoughts were tangling him and he just couldn't sort it. He had to make a choice between accepting the man she bonded herself with willingly or maybe.....unwillingly, and refusing to let his doll's life slip into the hands of a stranger. She was precious, and he didn't wish to keep her among people who were disgracing her. But then, she was a free bird having her own reasons, he was no one to cage her with his demands...... And to mess it up further, her silence had done wonders!

"Tum kya chahti ho ab?" Bhushan asked, placing a hand on her shoulder.

"Is rishtey ko nibhaana chahte hain.." Guddan trailed meekly with her head hung down.

"Toh thik hain, main intezaar karunga jab tak tum mujhe kuch batane ke liye taiyaar nehi ho jati.." He patted her forehead and walked out the house, while she looked on at his retreating form. My little daughter has grown up, I need to step back now and let her have the tastes, both bitter and sweet.

"Kya shaadi hain bhai! Aisa toh pehli baar dekh rahi hoon ki koi ladki is had tak gir sakti hain paison ke liye! Jindal khandan ka tamasha banakar rakh diya!" A guest gossiped.

"If you all are done with the dinner and gossips, have the courtesy to leave." Akshat spoke monotonously.
_____________________________

Guddan dropped to her knees, choking back a sob which tried to escape. She knew of the accusations, insults and taunts she would be bestowed with, following her out-of-the-blue marriage with him. But what was those spiteful words her mother spoke?! She could shrug off others, but the cuts by her mother, the one she has spent her life with? Didn't she know her real well, couldn't she find misery in her eyes? What good was the trust if she had to justify herself to her mother. She felt so utterly miserable.

She could never in her nightmares, think of marrying him!

"Guddan, ro mat gudiya, sab thik ho jayega." Dadi assured, wiping off her tears.

"Aap humse naaraaz nehi hain?" Guddan asked, surprised.

"Nehi, tu toh mujhe pehle se hi bahot pasandh thi, bas tujhse keh na saki.. Tune jis bhi wajah se yeh shaadi ki hain, mujhe tujhpar bharosa hain." Dadi caressed her cheek affectionately while she smiled, breathing relief in her trust.

"Durga ji, Lakshmi ji, Saraswati ji, niche aaiye zara!" Guddan called for them.

"Ab kya hain?" Durga descended down the stairs, annoyed.

"Humare grihapravesh ki taiyaari kijiye Durga ji." Guddan instructed.

"Tumhara grihapravesh? Aj ke zindegi mein toh tum zabardasti ghus hi chuki ho, lekin bahot jald nikali jayogi!" Durga smirked, raising her right brow.

"Hum dono is rishtey ko nibhaayenge ya nehi, yeh hum pati patni ke beech ki baat hain, jismein aapko tang adane ki koi zarurat nehi hain. Aap apni bahu hone ka farz nibhaiye aur humara swagat kijiye." Guddan flashed her a mocking smile.