𝐉𝐀𝐌𝐄𝐒, competition

𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐏𝐄𝐓𝐈𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍
A James Potter x Reader Oneshot

SUMMARY: An Ilvermorny transfer in James' year is threatening to claim his title of 'Hogwarts Quidditch Star' and he is not happy about it

WARNING(S): Fem!Reader (727 words)

"I'm going to go crazy if I have to hear about that new Transfer one more time

"I'm going to go crazy if I have to hear about that new Transfer one more time." James muttered as he sat down beside Sirius in the Great Hall. The conversation his friends were just having was paused as they looked at James' visibly annoyed expression.

"The Ilvermorny girl?" Peter asked, earning a groan and nod from James who filled his plate with food.

"Awe is someone jealous that you're no longer the Quidditch star?" Sirius teased, nudging his friends arm with his elbow.

"Stop it!" He hissed, Sirius only laughed as he continued to tease him.

James lost his appetite rather quickly after his first two bites and stood up from his seat. His friends continued to tease him as he left but he only rolled his eyes at them before leaving the Great Hall. He decided to go to the Quidditch field to try and get his mind off things.

Ever since news of a student from Ilvermorny broke out it's all James could hear about but it wasn't the fact that she was a transfer that annoyed him. No, it was the fact that she was a Chaser and apparently, 'the best'. James loved the love and attention, no doubt, but a new Quidditch star wouldn't have bothered him that much if he wasn't constantly hearing about her every second of the day. It was exhausting and he hasn't even seen her yet! All he knows is that she's in fifth year, same as him, and a supposedly amazing Quidditch player back in Ilvermorny. He wouldn't believe it until she proved it to him personally.

When James arrived at the Quidditch field he noticed a group of students, three were on broomsticks floating in front of one of the stands where two more students stood. He recognized all of them expect one who sat on her broom, laughing at something the others had said.

By the time he noticed he was staring it was too late. One of the students pointed towards him and she was flying down towards him in a mere second. She gracefully got off her broom before holding it by her side.

"You must be that Potter boy everyone has been mentioning." She said coolly.

"And you must be that Ilvermorny girl." He scoffed, half expecting her to be offended by his attitude but he was rather shocked to hear her chuckle

"Well what can I say, Hogwarts must've gotten tired of the same old Quidditch star that they jumped on a possible new one the second she got here." She replied with the same smirk that only pissed James off even more. She was doing this on purpose, and was enjoying it.

"Let's see if you can live up to the title then shall we? First to find the snitch holds the title." He offered with his hand extended. As expected, she shook his hand and the bet was on.

Nearly half an hour minutes into the game when James was chasing after the snitch and just an arm lengths away from winning, a scream from below him caught him off guard causing him to lose balance on his broom. With the new disadvantage that was neither of their faults, the snitch was caught and the game had ended by the time James had regained control of his broom.

"Looks like you lost Potter." She smirked as she held the snitch in her hand before flying towards the stands where her friends stood. They congratulated her and James watched as her face softened when she smiled. He must've been staring for a while because Sirius had apparently been screaming at him from the ground for nearly five minutes.

Back on the ground he walked back inside the castle with Sirius who was talking about what he happened after he left the Great Hall. As they neared the entrance he caught sight of her again, talking with one of her friends with a smile that made James stop dead in his tracks.

"Not this again." Sirius mumbled as he rubbed his temples.

"Hey," James shouted, catching her attention. "I never got your name."

She smiled and replied saying, "(Y/N)" before heading inside the castle with her friend. James watched as she disappeared in the crowd of students, unaware of Sirius' complaining until he hit his shoulder.

"What was that for?"