twenty-one

"It's getting late and the rain hasn't stopped." Harry says, concern lacing his voice.

Louis turns to him and smiles, hoping to ease some of Harry's worries.  It works.

"Text your uncle, we might have to spend the night here."

Harry's heart soared at the thought.  Late night thoughts, spending the night, and talking about whatever comes to their mind, with Louis!  What a dream.

Harry almost too eagerly takes his phone out and starts rapidly texting his uncle.

Hi Uncle Mike, Louis and I took shelter in some barn when it started to rain.  I don't think we'll make it home tonight.

He suddenly felt ebullience for the night to come.  It was already around nine o'clock, meaning they had spent about three hours in the barn.  

Louis got up from where him and Harry were seated, which was around the big wooden table, and started looking around.

"What are you looking for?"

"A place to sleep." Louis responds as he searches the first floor.

"Have you checked the attic yet?"

Louis shakes his head as he heads for the stairs.

"Hey Haz!  There's beds up here!"

"Score!" Harry screams back up as Louis peers his head over the edge of the second floor.  The attic was almost like an indoor balcony, looking out to the rest of the barn.

"Come up here and claim your bed, fawn!"

Harry suddenly felt excitement at how happy Louis' tone was.  Harry was the kind of person to match someone's energy.  Sometimes it was wonderful because he'd be on the same page as someone else, but sometimes it was like a curse because he'd bum himself out solely from being with someone of a bad aura.

He raced up the stairs, skipping every other step as he ran towards where Louis was watching with impatient eyes.

When he made it to the second floor and searched around, he saw two mattresses sprawled out randomly on the floor.  He's not going to lie, when Louis said there were beds, he was expecting something fancier than this, but then he reminds himself that they're in an abandoned barn, why would there be proper beds just waiting for them.

"Which one would you like, your majesty?" Louis asked, gesturing to the beds on the floor as he bowed slightly.

Harry giggled.  "Oh I don't know king Lewis, you shall choose."

"Ah, such generosity, I have been blessed to be in the company of such a beautiful baby fawn..."

"I am a king!" Harry pointed to the ceiling with a stern, but amused, look on his face.

"Oh no!  The fawn seems troubled!"

"Off with your head!  You have upset the king!" Harry yells as he seizes towards Louis, taking his head in a head lock as Louis squirms from the hold, screaming medieval phrases.

"No my wondrous king!  Have mercy on such a poor soul!  I am only a peasant asking for your forgiveness!"

Harry paused, taking a small second to think over his next move, and then loosens his grip around Louis, allowing him to squirm out of it.  He's about to speak but is interrupted when Louis runs towards him and wraps his arms around Harry' waist, pushing them both onto the mattress behind them.

"Hah!  King Louis has outsmarted the fawn!..."

"King!" Harry interrupts, screaming from underneath Louis who was throwing his hands up in the air, straddling Harry over his waist.

"He is victorious!  All shall bow down to King Louis William Tomlinson!"

Harry stops his squirming and crosses his arms, watching as Louis holds conversations with imaginary townspeople all around the room.  He finally looks down at Harry who sticks his bottom lip out in defeat.

Louis' smiling so huge right now and all he could feel was felicity as he bent down and kissed that puckered bottom lip.  Harry was quick to wrap his hands around Louis' neck as he tried to pull away and lifted his neck to keep their lips together as long as he could.  He finally let Louis pull away as he looked back down at Harry with glossy eyes and gleaming lips.

Everything was perfect.  A utopia of their own creation.  This was their paradise that would forever remain in their memories, never fading and never forgotten.

Louis climbed off of Harry and laid back down next to him, connecting their hands as they both breathed heavily, out of breath from their little game of tackle.

"So..." Harry breathed out, turning to Louis as Louis did the same.

"So."

"It's about ten, what do you wanna do for the rest of the night?"

Louis tapped his chin and looked up, thinking it over.  "I have an idea."  Louis grinned as Harry cocked his head in intrigue.

"Hmm?" Harry asked, engrossed in whatever Louis was planning.

And without another word, Louis stood from the mattress they were laying on, reached both arms down to Harry, helped him up once he had grabbed Louis' hands, and led him down the stairs, never letting go of his right hand from Harry's.

Once they were at the bottom of the stairs, Louis turned his body around so that he was walking backwards, facing Harry.  He took Harry's other hand in his and smiled as he led them to the center of the open room, floored with hardwood.

He pulled his phone out and quickly shuffled through it, still holding onto a confused but extremely curious Harry.

He took one last look up at Harry before clicking something on his phone and setting it on the table nearby.  Before anything had the chance of happening, Louis lifted one side of their hands, intertwining their fingers, and using his other arms to snake around Harry's waist pulling him closer.  Harry almost stumbled into the dominant action, but was smiling through the whole thing. 

"Fancy going ballroom dancing?" Louis smiled.

And then Harry heard it.

Wise men say...

And Louis began swaying.

"Oh Lou." Harry was breathless as Louis swayed them back and forth.

Only fools rush in...

Harry felt like he was floating on cloud nine, completely separate from the world.  In Harry's world, it was just him and Louis.  It was just the short boy with the features of caramel with his arm wrapped around the waist of the taller boy with curly hair.

But I can't help...

Harry felt like his head was being magnetized to Louis' chest, so he didn't even try to fight it.  He felt his whole soul smile as he listened to the soft patterns of Louis' heartbeat and the wave-like sensation he got from Louis' breathing lifting his head up and down.

Falling in love with you...

Then he closed his eyes.  He closed them and suddenly saw everything flash by him.  He couldn't make out any of the pictures he saw, just that they were all yellow.  They were all happy, and as the thousands of pictures flashed by, one factor stayed the same.  Louis' smile was always consistent in Harry's mind.  It never left and Harry couldn't help but smile at the comfort he got from that.

And as Harry and Louis swayed to what seemed like a song written specifically for them, a beautiful thing happened.  Neither one of the boys knew of it, but as they brushed their bodies so close and wrapped their hearts around one another, their souls became one.  A process that happens to one in a billion. 

And Harry and Louis were that one. 

-----------------------------------

A/N:

Quickly listen to the beginning of this and imagine Harry and Louis dancing to it, you're going to cry: