01 | "yes mother"

LYRA MAE BLACK NEVER showed her "weak" (as her Mother calls them) emotions; never ever, not in a million years. Especially in front of her parents— no matter what they said or did, Lyra would never show an inkling of any emotion to them.

So, as she was being forcefully pushed through the crowds on Platform 9¾, Lyra kept her cold but pristine demeanour, not allowing anyone to see the eagerness she was hiding, to be finally going home, to her real home, was like a dream come true. Her actual home was Hogwarts, there was no doubt in it. Grimmauld Place was far from home to any of the Black children.

There were three of them, Lyra, Sirius and Regulus, all born to Walburga and Orion Black. The couple carried on the legacy of the Noble House of Black (by marrying each other, despite them being cousins, yuck). The Noble House of Black was one of the largest, oldest and wealthiest pure-blood wizarding families there were— not to mention one of the Sacred Twenty-Eight. The motto of the house was 'toujours pur' which translates directly to 'always pure.'

And there was no other way to put this but Lyra thought this was all bullshit.

Lyra's parents thought they deserved the world and more for having and gaining such power over others, they abused their power, making people do things for them or influencing others to believe the newfound beliefs of Him. It was no secret that there was a war brewing outside the sanctuary of the teens' minds. Most of the older years were finally accepting it but most were attempting to stay naive and oblivious to it. But when it had such an impact to Lyra's family, she was hit with the harsh truth before anyone else.

Regaining her balance from where her Mother had harshly spun her around, Lyra looked up at her with a blank face. She could feel someone's eyes boring into the back of her head, Lyra had managed to take a quick glance at who, it was her twin, Sirius. He had previously left during the Summer, without any indication or goodbye. He simply just vanished. Truth be told, it was the first time Lyra cried since she was eleven. Lyra and Sirius had made a pact, anytime anyone had wanted to leave, no matter what the other thought, they'd leave together and take Regulus. But Sirius didn't even think about that, he left, even after he promised. Lyra took promises very seriously.

The people she called 'Mother' and 'Father' were not really parents to Lyra and her siblings. And she knew it. The way they acted with her was enough to know they weren't actual parents to any of the Black siblings and both Regulus and Lyra were relieved today was finally the day they could escape their parents - at least for a few months.

Lyra had finally tuned her Mother's warnings back in when she came to the end of it. "You heard me, didn't you Lyra?"

"Yes, Mother," Lyra sighed, looking up at the horrible-looking women. Walburga had distinctive features; hollow cheeks, sunken grey eyes and jet black hair. Lyra had inherited some of her features; thankfully not her sunken eyes and hollow cheeks.

Walburga's features hardened, if that was even possible, "I want no trouble from you this year. You did okay in OWLs, I want you to do even better in NEWTs, especially for when you join our side."

She waited for her daughter to nod, which she did, before continuing, "You stick with Rosier and Crabbe, okay?"

"Yes, Mother."

And with that, the two Black siblings were off. Regulus, being taller than Lyra, was directing them through the crowds towards the ruby steam engine.

Lyra had gone to find Evelyn Crabbe and Evan Rosier (aka her best friends, the only people minus Regulus and Sirius who got her). The trio had been friends even before they went to Hogwarts. As kids, they would have to attend ridiculous parties or if their Mothers simply decided to meet up, it always left them to play together.

"Oh, Evy and Evan," she cooed, swerving into the compartment, "the best person ever has arrived."

"Where's Evan Rosier then?" Evelyn teased, peering around Lyra as if she was looking for someone.

Lyra sat down with furrowed brows, a bit disgusted by the flirting.

Evan immediately babbled on about how he went travelling with his family and all the exciting stuff he did, while Evelyn and Lyra would occasionally pipe in. But then it came to Lyra's turn to talk.

"Well?" Evan raised his brows expectedly.

Lyra slumped back in her chair, "Shit."

"Oh crap, your brother, by any chance?" Evelyn questioned.

"Yes, my brother is the stupidest prick of all times. I can't believe he left, he didn't even say goodbye! He just upped and left. He better not try and apologise to me, he can shove it right back up his arse."

What Lyra didn't know was that Sirius was right outside their compartment with a bag of Jelly Slugs and a chocolate bar for her. Sirius was going to apologise but after hearing that, he decided maybe she just needed space. But he, quite frankly, didn't know. Sirius felt everything was too much and Lyra wouldn't have been able to go anyway as she was out with their parents when he left. Sirius knew that didn't excuse the fact he left, he just wanted his sister back though.

However, Lyra was more glad Sirius was out of the house than anything. It wasn't safe there, it was better for him to be away from it. She was just upset he left her and Regulus, not because he did leave but he could have at least told her goodbye. There was no warning, not even a slither of a chance Lyra could have come.

But at the end of the day, Lyra knew her brother is probably so much happier wherever he went to stay. And she was thankful for that. Sirius deserved everything, Lyra was just upset she couldn't help give it to him. Even from a young age, Lyra cared for her siblings. She made sure they were okay, made sure they ate and everything their parents didn't do. If they hurt themselves, Lyra was the one to bandage it up, kiss their forehead and tell them it was okay. Not that anyone other than her brothers would ever find that out - that was strictly their secret. Sirius just wanted her to tell him it'd be okay, he just wanted his sister back.