20 | "you told my mother?!"

LYRA BLACK WASN'T DOING particularly much, as she sat in front of the Black Lake, watching people as they bustled by. She also wasn't in the mood to do much socialising, hence why in nearly-winter weather, she was sat outside where not that many people were.

"What are you doing sat out here in the cold?" Evan laughed, peering down at the friend he had just approached.

"Sitting out here in the cold," she replied, looking up.

Evan continued to look down at her, and Evelyn sat down beside her.

"We wanted to talk to you," she started.

Lyra looked towards the girl, confused.

Evan took a seat beside her, "Yeah, we did."

Evelyn sighed, "We just think you're spending far too much time with those silly Gryffindors. I mean you've even started hanging out with McKinnon."

She said it like it was poison in her mouth.

"Yes, we didn't want to tell your mother, but you kind of left us no other choice," Evan shrugged.

"You told my mother?!" Lyra cried.

"I'm sorry, Ly, we had to. We didn't want to lose you," Evelyn put a hand on her shoulder.

"Fuck off," Lyra brushed her hand off, "You told my mother?! My mother?! My god awful excuse of a mother? Are you having a fuck?"

"What? That language is vile," Evan scolded.

Lyra stood up, "How fucking dare you! You had no right to do that!"

Evan stood up, his height giving him an advantage, "How dare us?" he seethed.

"How dare you? All we have ever given you is pleasant company and good, trustworthy friendship, and all you do back is make friends with other people! And all your mother has ever done is made sure you came out as perfect as possible. Which you clearly didn't?" Evan snapped back.

"What the fuck?" Lyra was angry, "Yeah, my perfect mother kicking my brother out for literally nothing and obliterating his face off the family tree. Yeah, she's so perfect when she punished us when we do wrong. She's so perfect when she tries to perfect every single thing about my life."

"She is an amazing mother," Evan stated, "you're lucky to have her."

"Yeah, immensely," Lyra laughed,

"You're such a bitch," Evan replied dryly.

"That language is vile," she bit back.

"No one even likes you. That's why you keep running back to us, because no one else wants to be your friend. Everyone thinks you're a freak!" Evan laughed cruelly, "Half the reason we're even friends is because our mothers told us to be friends with you."

"Fuck you," she spat before stomping off, refusing to give Evan the last word.

Lyra hated them, but she knew he was right. Her only other friends were Sirius' friends, or Regulus, so they hardly even count. She hated everything about her life. Lyra wished she could live life as a normal witch, with normal-loving parents or even a muggle, she didn't care. As long as she was away from her parents, she didn't mind.

She stormed off into the castle, towards her room, hoping no one would be there.

Lyra was wrong.

Slamming the door open, the four boys lounging on the sofa jumped in fright, all four heads shooting towards the door.

James immediately stood up when he noticed how upset she looked; Sirius was quick to follow.

"What's wrong, Ly?" Sirius asked, moving to stand closer to her.