19 | "ill be more subtle next time"

NIGHTMARES, LYRA HAD ALWAYS had them, even from a young age. She despised them. The way she used to have to pretended everything was okay when she used to share a dorm like she hadn't just woken up from the most atrocious dream ever. Although having James around was nice, he didn't know about her nightmares, so she had to pretend she was okay every time she had one of her dreaded nightmares.

"Black," James sighed, "that was amazing."

She just chuckled.

A few moments passed as the pair attempted to catch their breath but Lyra soon rolled over, facing away from James. He just furrowed his brows and gave her a look, even though she couldn't see. James quickly threw on his underwear.

He smirked as he wrapped his arm around her waist, snuggling into her back, she didn't loosen her body and tension like normal. "You okay, darling?"

"Yes," she nodded.

"Sure?" James didn't want to push too much.

"Yes."

"I'll get my jumper," he felt the goosebumps on her stomach under his hand.

As soon as she had it pulled on, she lay back down, facing away from James.

He was very confused, "Do you want me to go?"

She shook her head.

"Do you want me to lie over here?"

She nodded this time.

"Sorry," she whispered.

He reached over to kiss her cheek, "No worries, darling girl. I'm here whenever if you change your mind."

Lyra's squirming had woken James up, he rubbed his eyes and squinted at her. She was curled up quite tightly and her hands were in fists, her nails causing crescent-shaped indents on her palms.

He leaned forwards, uncurling her fist, holding one hand with his, while using the other to rub her arm soothingly.

"Wake up, love," he whispered, "it's okay, I promise. Wake up, darling."

He continued till she woke with a start, covered in sweat and tears.

She sighed, she didn't want this to happen.

"Sorry, Potter," she said, as she lay back down, "didn't mean to wake you."

James could tell she was still shaken from the dream, he didn't exactly know what to do but whenever this happened with Sirius; Sirius usually came and cuddled with James.

Moving forwards, James wrapped his arms tightly around her waist, pulling her as close as possible to him, she stiffened.

"Do you want me to move?" he asked softly, rubbing her arm.

All he wants to do is help.

She shook her head, "No," before rolling over to lie on his chest. He could immediately feel her be more relaxed, making him smile. Little did he know, there was a small smile gracing her lips.