chapter 2:spells And a pet

Naomi pulled a blanket around her shoulders. When her dad said they were leaving in the morning, she didn't think he'd meant early morning. She curled up in a corner of the wagon her parents were riding on, set her head on one of her mother's pillows, and was almost asleep when. "Naomi!" Sage called. 

Naomi groaned. She sat up and turned to Sage. "Sage, I said goodbye yesterday so I could sleep on the way."

"Naomi." Lily told her. "Be nice."

"Sorry." Naomi said half-heartily. She turned back to Sage. "Yes, Sage. What is it?"

Sage handed her a rope bracelet. "Here. You said you would come back one day. Wear this so I'll know it's you."

Naomi was surprised. "That's so nice of you." She said. She took the bracelet and slid it on. "Thank you. You heard about where I'm moving, haven't you?"

Sage shook her head. She leaned in close. "I told my mom you were leaving and she made me make that. But the only rope I could find was the string we use to tie the manure bag." She laughed and ran back into her house.

"Oh, how nice." Lily said. "I told you Sage wasn't so bad. It was vary sweet of her to make you a bracelet." Lily turned back to face the front and Naomi ripped the bracelet off her wrist. She almost threw it away, but realized how Sage would react seeing a daughter of the Nibrue House wearing her rope bracelet. She slid it back on. How much manure could get on it anyway? She could always clean it.

Naomi lay her head back on the pillow and drifted off into sleep.

The sun was warm on her side when Naomi woke up. They were traveling through a forest. "Mom, Dad." She yawned. "Where are we?"

Lily and David turned around to look at their daughter. "This is the Magic Forest." David said. "Where all seven forms of magic came to be. Nibrue Palace is jest ahead."

"It also happens to be the place where your father and I met." Lily sighed. "Thirty years ago, on the eve of the new year. I fell instantly for your father's gray eyes."

Naomi had always thought her father had brown eyes. She climbed up front with her parents and looked into her father's eyes. They were gray, jest like hers. "So that's where I get my eye color from." She said.

Lily made a hissing noise. "I forgot you cast a spell on your eyes to make them brown." She said.

"Cast a spell?" Naomi asked. She turned to her father. "You can cast spells?"

David put the reins for the horses down and waved his hand over them. They flouted up and started to drive the horses all on their own! "Of course I can cast spells." He said. "I'm a son of a Magic House. And," he turned to her. "as a daughter of a Magic House, you can cast spells too."

"I can?" Naomi breathed. "Have I ever done it before?"

David chuckled. "Sure, as a baby." He said. "Magic's always hard to control as infants."

"Seemed to me like she had it under control." Lily said.

David reach down into the bag he had put beside him and pulled out an old leather book. "This was my training spell book when I was your age. Now, I'm giving it to you."

Naomi looked down at the old musty book. "What's that language?" She asked pointing to the strange symbols on the cover.

"That's magic tongue." David answered. "When you unlock your full potential, you'll be able to read it. But for now, don't worry. All the spells in there are in English."

Naomi took the spell book and opened it at random. She had turned to the page about giving your pet horse wings. She turned the page, she had no use for that spell.