chapter 15:simbA unleashed.

Naomi paged through the spell books one last time, or at least that's what she told herself for the last four or five times she went in here. Something still bugged her. She knew that Victoria knew what the doctors knew about Lord Arthur's illness, which was nothing, and Trad knew that King Joshi sent a letter which supposedly never arrived. It was all turned inside her head and Naomi knew that she was missing something.

Simba sat up from his position on the roaring fireplace and looked at her, puzzling over something that smelled faintly of blood. He ran over to her and jumped up on the table. The smell came from the thing she was looking at when he hunted some time ago. He didn't remember what he had dropped on it, but it had been tasty.

"Simba!" Naomi said as the lion rolled over the spell book she was reading. "Stop that!" But he was cute, even though he was getting a little too big to climb on tables, chairs, and laps. Naomi had to teach him that. For now, he was cute. 

Simba got tired of rolling on the spell book and hopped down. Simba was growing fast, he was already up to Naomi's knees. Naomi reached into her pocket and tossed him a piece of dried meat. She learned to carry them around. Simba ran to where it landed.

Naomi turned back to her spell book. There was something about the reveal the truth spell. Why did it say 'part waters?'

The door opened. Victoria came in, a glass cup with dark liquid. "It's the potion that will fix my infertility," she said. "I never thought I would  be this nervous." 

Naomi stood up. "Don't worry. Just drink it," Naomi told her. "Think of how happy uncle Trad will be when he has his perfect little boy." Victoria took a deep breath and drank the potion. "Well?" Naomi asked.

Victoria's face went pale. "I, I," she shuddered. Then she slapped her hand over her mouth and ran out. 

"I didn't expect that," Naomi said. "I hoped she's alright." Naomi realized that she was talking to herself.

Victoria was sick the rest of the day. Naomi felt bad about letting her drink that dumb potion. But that night, the great news came. Trad gathered her and Lady Charrlota in his apartment to share the good news. "Victoria's pregnant!" he shouted.

Lady Charrlota jumped up. "Wonderful!" she shouted. "How exciting. Now can someone help me, I threw out my back."

Naomi watched Trad help Lady Charrlota out then turned to the bathroom where Victoria was still sick. "You okay?" Naomi asked.

"Are all pregnancies like this?" Victoria asked. "I think I'll stop at just one." Then a sound that Naomi didn't want to think about.

Naomi tried to think of something to cheer her up, but nothing came to mind. 

"Naomi," Victoria groaned. "Can you get my spell book? It has a health spell in it. It should be in the bedroom."

Naomi went to the bedroom. She looked around and decided not to wake Demon sleeping in the corner. On the desk, messy with papers, was a red spell book with the name Victoria painted in gold. That must be it. Naomi grabbed it and was about to leave when the words 'signed King Joshi' caught her eye. 

Naomi looked back at the letter. It was the letter King Joshi sent to tell them he would be early. What was it doing here? Victoria moaned from the bathroom, but Naomi was deep in thought. King Joshi's messengers said the letter was delivered, if they were telling the truth and someone kept the letter from the rest of the Nibrue family? Why would someone want to keep that secret? What if she hadn't been able to explain to him what happened? She could have started a war with King Joshi. 

Which would have turned the people against her and may have forced Lady Charrlota to put Trad back as heir. Naomi shook her head. There was no way. Her uncle may hate her a little bit, but no one would do something like that. Not even Victoria would plunge the kingdom into war for her son to rule as Lord of the Nibrue House, she didn't even know she would have a son and still doesn't.

Naomi shook her head. She refused to believe that this was true. "It's just your imagination acting up again. Maybe Uncle Trad wrote a letter to King Joshi while his uncle still wanted to marry grandmother." She knew that was a slim chance.

Something growled. Naomi slowly turned around. Demon was up and Naomi could guess he was hungry. Demon's red eyes glowed as his sharp teeth dripped with saliva. Naomi backed up against the desk. "Nice, scary panther," she said. "Nice panther. You don't want to eat me, do you?" Demon still growled. "Is this because I have jerky in my pocket and haven't given you any?" 

Something white  leapt in front of her. Simba growled at the much bigger panther. Then he opened his mouth and let out a loud squeak. 

Demon was unbothered by Simba's squeak and growled at the cub to get out of his way. Simba reached out and clawed the black panther. That only made Demon mad.

Demon jumped on Simba and it was a mess of black fur, white fur, teeth, and claws. Naomi flipped open the spell book, looking for something to help. Her eyes fell on a strength spell. "When the strong prey on the weak, give unbeatable strength to the one I speak." Naomi hoped she was calm. 

Simba kicked Demon up against the wall then tugged on the hem of Naomi's dress, pulling her out. Naomi quickly grabbed the letter and left the spell book outside the bathroom door. Then she ran to her own room to examined the letter. 

Naomi read it over and over. There was no denying it. Trad, Victoria, or maybe both of them were responsible for the Nibrue House being unprepared for King Joshi's visit. Naomi couldn't believe that either one would do that. Did they want to bring the kingdom into war?

Naomi went right out to find Trad. She would put him in his place.