Chapter 10:the first clue.

Naomi took her grandfather's hand. She looked up at Trad and Victoria. "What happened?" She asked.

Victoria put out a fan and started fanning herself like nothing was wrong. "He was fine then collapsed. How am I suppose to know what happened when the doctors don't?" She asked.

Simba tried to hop up on the bed, but ended up clawing the sheets. Naomi picked him up and set him on her lap. There he turned in a circle and curled into a ball.

Lord Arthur looked down at Simba. "Lions can beat panthers any day." He said. "Just as true as every day the sun rises and every night it sets. But we shouldn't forget what happened before the sun rose today."

"Wise words father." Trad said. "If only Naomi could understand what they mean." Naomi stuck her tongue out at him.

Lady Charrlota came over. She stood by Trad and Victoria and whispered the doctor's findings. "They have no idea what's wrong." She whispered. "It's almost like magic, but who would cast a spell on Arthur?"

"Do they know if he'll live?" Trad asked.

"They have no more idea on that then we do." Lady Charrlota said. "But don't tell Naomi. I don't think she's gotten over David and Lily's deaths. She doesn't need to worry about her grandfather on top of that."

Lady Charrlota came and stood by Naomi. Trad and Victoria exchanged happy looks. Naomi realized something. If Lady Charrlota was still talking to the doctors, how did Victoria know they had no idea?

Naomi lay all alone in her room. Well, except for Simba who was pouncing on a ball enchanted to move on its own. She looked down at the rope bracelet Sage had given her. She really needed a friend now.

The door opened. Abir's head poked in. "She's in here, my lady." He said and opened the door for Lady Charrlota to come in.

"Naomi dear." She said. Lady Charrlota looked down at what she held in her hand. "What's that?" She asked. "A bracelet. It doesn't look like one I gave you."

"It's a rope bracelet." Naomi told her. "Sage from my old town gave it to me."

Lady Charrlota smiled. "A friend of yours. How nice."

Naomi shook her head. "Sage is not really a friend, she was always vary mean to me growing up. But her mom made her make this for me before I left. I told her I would go back." Naomi sighed. "And I pictured rubbing it in her face that I was a Daughter of the Nibrue House. Bring presents for those who actually were my friends. Showing her this and seeing her face go bright red."

Lady Charrlota looked down at the bracelet. "Would you like to do that? To go back and rub it in that girl's face who you are?"

"Yes." Naomi said. "And bring a gift for Marta, my best friend in the whole world." Naomi didn't see Abir's face as he heard that.

"Then how about we plan a visit for the end of the week." Lady Charrlota asked. "We'll make ready our best carriage, you can wear your prettiest dress, and together we'll show that Sage to be nice."

Naomi jumped up and threw her arms around her grandmother. "Thank you, thank you, thank you!" She shouted. "But quick question, which one is my prettiest dress?"