chapter 8:never thought i'd miss Victoria

Naomi limped all the way to Abir's dirt shack house. It was one room with clay pottery and straw mats. Abir set her down on one of the straw mats. "Rest, we'll find someway to get you home." Abir told her. "Though I don't know how."

Uchoyo grunted. "It cost a lot to go any where here. We can't." He eyed her bracelet. "Unless you're willing to help."

Naomi held her bracelet. She wasn't sure about him. Something about the greedy look in his eyes told her to not trust him. She wouldn't even be here if she wasn't alone and hurt.

Abir took the clay kettle and set it on a wire. He started a fire under the kettle. "What happened to you?" He asked.

Naomi  shuddered at the memory. "I was going to the Ocean House for a visit. Then we ran into a Destroyer Storm. There was this big wave, it sank the ship. I surfaced, but everyone else drowned. That mermaid pulled me to shore, I guess. Then she got you guys." Naomi paused to whip away a tear. "I just want to go home."

Abir put a hand on her shoulder. "You will, when we get everything figured out."

Uchoyo snorted. "I think you mean, my forgetful son, when she decides to donate her bracelet to the cause. Not before, not after."

Naomi looked down at her bracelet. Was Uchoyo being serous? He wouldn't really keep her here, would he?

Abir lifted her face up to his. "Don't worry. Everything will be alright." He said. "Trust me." 

Naomi was shaken awake that night. "Come on." Abir's voice told her. "Get up. We don't have much time."

Naomi sat up. "What's going on?" She asked. "Is something wrong?"

Abir helped her up. "Not yet, but if you stay here, there will be something wrong." He said. "My father's a greedy man. His name means greed. He plans to sell your bracelet and give you to our landlord as payment. He never wanted to take you home. A friend of my mother's, may she rest in peace, heard about you from me. He'll take you home, no charge. But only if you leave tonight."

"Abir." Naomi asked. "What about you? What will you do when your father finds me gone?" Abir said nothing. Naomi grew more worried. "Abir."

"Don't worry about me." Abir said. "Just get away from here." 

Abir's friend was waiting at a nearby dock. "Abir." He said. "This must be the supposed Lady of the Nibrue House." 

"You have no idea how it feels to hear someone say that and not being sarcastic about it." Naomi said. "I never thought I'd miss my aunt Victoria."

Abir's friend reached out and scooped her in his arms. "Don't worry, young lady, I'll take you home. Right up to the Nibrue palace if you want." He turned to Abir. "You change your mind about coming." 

"Yes." Naomi said, not letting Abir answer. "He has. He's coming." Abir stared at her. Naomi was carried onboard the ship. To her surprise, Abir followed her.

Abir's friend set her down on a soft chair. Abir stood over her. "Why did you tell him I was coming with you?" He asked.

"Because you can't go back to your father." Naomi told him. "Ether stay with your friend or come with me, but don't go back to your father."

Abir looked back at the shore, where he knew his father, who would be mad at him when he woke up, was sleeping. He turned back to face her. "If I go with you, I want to earn my keep. If I stay here, I want to earn my keep. I wasn't born rich like you. I will serve you or the caption."

Naomi shrugged. "As long as you're away from your father." She said.

The ship sailed at sunrise. As soon as the ship was out to sea, Abir got seasick, worse then Naomi had felt. He decided to go with Naomi as her servant. 

The captain rented a cart and started to take Naomi and Abir to the Nibrue palace. "You sure you want to serve me?" Naomi asked Abir, who still was determined to become her servant.

Abir nodded. "I can't be expected to just live off of your money or off the caption. Also, I can't live on a ship."

Naomi officially gave up on trying to convince him otherwise.

The Nibrue city was a sight for sore eyes. Abir looked with wide eyes around him. "Where are we?" He asked. "What is this place?"

"Nibrue city." Naomi told him. "Basically servant's quarters. But I hardly ever see them in the palace itself." Abir looked at her. "What?" She asked.

The cart stopped at the mountain side. "So how do we get to Nibrue palace?" The caption asked. 

"Oh, right." Naomi said. She stood up in the cart and said the spell her father said to open the door. "Wall of stone, strong and thick. Open the door and make it quick. Through your gates, let me ride. To the palace hidden inside." The stone doors opened up.

Abir stared at her. "Did I just see a mountainside open up?" He asked. Naomi nodded. 

Inside the first room, Naomi looked around. "Grandmother, Grandfather!" She shouted.

Footsteps came from the top of the stairs. Lady Charrlota leaned over the railing. "Naomi!" She shouted. She ran down the stairs and flung her arms out towards her. Naomi pulled herself off the cart and down on the floor. Lady Charrlota held her tight. Lord Arthur came down behind her. At the top of the stairs, Trad and Victoria gazed down open mouthed at her.