C H A P T E R T E N

"She looked at me

And this is what she said

Oh, there ain't no rest for the wicked

Money don't grow on trees

I got bills to pay

I got mouths to feed

There ain't nothing in this world for free"
___
~ Ain't no rest for the Wicked by Cage the Elephant

C H A P T E R  T E N

After class Maeve was exhausted.

She hadn't done that much exercise in forever.

Right now she was laying on a mat and watched her boyfriend kick a punching bag.

Suddenly Tory entered.

"You playing footsie or practicing your roundhouse?" She asked chuckling.

"Think fast!" She told him and tossed a kicking thingy at him.

That made Maeve realize that she really needed to lern the names of those items.

"Let me show you how it's done." Tory told him smirking.

Maeve sat up on the mat.

"Yeah, you show him Tory!" Maeve supported her friend, making Miguel turn to her.

"Ok." He said sarcastically.

Tory gave two strong kicks to the gloves before Miguel let his arms fall to his side.

"Today's lesson was crazy, huh?" He asked them. 

"Yeah, totally. That dude's mad." Maeve told them with wide eyes.

Tory furrowed her eyebrows at them.

"Not that crazy." She said before kicking at the gloves again.

Miguel had a thoughtful look on his face. 

"Don't you think that some of what sensei Kreese is teaching us just... feels wrong? That life is only about winning?" He asked her.

Tory starred at her two friends with a vulnerable look on her face.

"My mom worked at this restaurant when I was little. And she'd brig leftovers, so my brother and I had enough to eat. When the manager found out... he fired her. No warning. No notice. He said it was against the company policy. And she... she wasn't stealing. The food was gonna end up in the trash. The world shows no mercy. So, why should we? Some people have it good, but the rest of us, we have to fight for every inch of what's ours. Not just to score a point. For everything." She told them.

Maeve was now standing beside Miguel with tears in her eyes.

Some people were just so cruel.

"Thank you for sharing that with us." Maeve told the taller girl, holding her hand.

Tory nodded at her, before turning back to Miguel.

"Hands up. And you're next." She told Maeve to which she groaned.

Later that day Maeve walked home with Miguel.

"So... you wanna come over later?" Maeve asked him once they reached their apartments.

"Sure. As long as sensei doesn't mind." He told her holding her waist softly.

"I'm sure he won't mind. You're his best student aren't you?" She asked him playfully, making him shake his head chuckling.