Chapter Six

"Hey, whoa whoa," Ike called out. "I'm grateful for what you did but I need to get to New York. That's where the people I know can vouch for me."

Charlie and Peter glanced back at Ike before continuing their conversation.

"Guys!"

"Shut up," Charlie spat, staring at him. "I'm a bit busy, right now. Look Peter, you know very well as I do that he is capable of pulling that off."

"Going after him is the last thing you need right now. Will you just drop it?"

"NO! I can't just drop it. Not anymore. This is my dad we are talking about," Charlie stared at him. "My dad, Peter!"

"Alright, alright," he raised his hands. "What are you going to do?"

"I'm going to go talk with him."

"The man who literally walked past you at lunch the day he was suppose to be busy? Do you think he's seriously going to listen to you?"

"I have to try," Charlie whispered. "Please, I need your help."

"I can't help you," Peter shook his head. "Monique... she isn't happy with you being around me."

Charlie's shoulders sagged as she looked out at the horizon. Ike could tell that they must have been a couple before... he couldn't see since when but he imagined it was a year ago that they broke up.

"Tell her I'm sorry," Charlie whispered, taking a step back. "I didn't- I don't want to cause you two any more trouble."

"Hey," Peter called out as he grabbed her hand, handing her a small roll of bills. "Take it. I'll keep track of what I can in here and I'll stay in touch with you."

"Okay," she nodded.

"Stay low," he pointed. "Please."

"I will, I will," she nodded as she watched him drive off into the dark early morning. She turned to face Ike again. "I- here."

Ike saw the five rolled up one hundreds in his hand.

"Get to New York, how ever you can. I'm sorry about this mess."

"You know who did it... don't you?" Charlie only gazed at him before turning her back. "You have a hunch, then."

"Just get going."

"No way," Ike grabbed her arm, stopping her. "You know more than you're letting on."

"I said bye." Ike watched the blond hair woman keep walking away. He shook his head, walking in the opposite direction.

Charlie's mind was going in circles as she walked through the dark streets of St.Louis. As she walked, she saw three men on the opposite side of the street cross the road. She tensed up deciding to go onto the other side herself. The men immediately rushed for her.

"NO," Charlie screamed, breaking into a sprint. She never saw the cop standing around the corner when she came at him at full speed. It knocked them both onto the ground but she stayed near her, helping her up. "I'm so sorry. I really am!"

"It's fine," the girl cop laughed, gripping Charlie's arm tightly. "Where is it?"

"What," Charlie pulled at her wrist.

"Where is the USB Charlie," the girl gritted, knocking her for the floor. Charlie looked at the female cop in sheer fright.

"GET OFF," Ike shoved the cop over, extending his hand towards Charlie. "Come on!"

Grabbing his hand, Charlie followed him. She could heard the three men and that cop chasing after them as they ran into an alley.

"Use the side of the building and push yourself over the fence," Ike exclaimed as they were approaching a fence. "Got it?"