Chapter Eleven

"You two okay back there," Emma glanced back at Ike and Charlie who sat in the backseat of the truck with the dogs. Normally the dogs would have been in the trunk of the truck but Emma had this strange reasoning that if she kept them with the two in the back seat, they would be better protected.

"I'm going to end up being a dog at the end of the day," Charlie muttered, making Ike laugh slightly.

Despite the laughter filled conversation that seemed to make the hours to by faster, Ike's impatience grew. He didn't realize driving with two horses would be such a hassle. They'd stop every so often to unload the horses on Emma's request so they could "straighten out" their legs. Perhaps not all horse owners did this but Emma seemed adamant on doing so. Something about keeping them fresh... who knew?

"Does she always do this," Ike looked over at Charlie who was leaning against the trailer, tying some rope together. 

"Oh, yeah," Charlie gazed at him from under the rim of her cowboy hat. "You should have seen it when we went from Tennessee to California. Worst two days of my life."

"Mine too," Carter mumbled as he walked past the two of them, in direction to the motel. Smiling, Charlie shook her head, continuing to fix the rope. "I think we ought to get some sleep in the meantime. Keep your hat- Oh god."

"What," Ike looked at her.

"Loose the cowboy hat," Charlie grabbed it from him, searching the back seat of the truck, pulling out a baseball cap instead. "Here. You did yourself no favors with that hat."

"I think I looked fine," Ike shook his head, looking back at Emma who was still walking her horse. "You'll be fine?"

"Me? Yeah," Charlie nodded. "Good night."

Ike gave her one final look before walking for the motel.

That night, Ike wasn't able to sleep yet again. He tossed and turned, thinking about his family. That was the only thing he could get his mind to think of. What would Aaron do to his family if he found out he had made it into New York? Sitting up in the bed, Ike ran his hands over his face before kicking the sheets off of him.

The night wasn't as cold as he thought it'd be. Walking out in his pair of sweats and a white t-shirt, he wondered if bringing a sweater would be necessary. Sighing softly, he wandered over to the trailer, seeing the two horses with their heads sticking out of the windows. The dogs sat up in the back seat, wagging their tails at him.

"Hey guys," he whispered softly, scratching their heads. A sudden noise inside of the truck made him jump slightly.

"What-," Charlie groaned, putting down the horseshoe from over her head. "You scared me!"

"Were you sleeping out here in the truck," Ike exclaimed, peering into the truck. Surely enough, there was a mountain of blankets in there.

"I couldn't sleep in there," Charlie rubbed her tired eyes before tossing the horseshoe back into the trailer. "What are you doing up?"

"Same page as you," Ike sat down on the curb, resting his elbows on his knees. "Aaron, what exactly is the man capable of? Do you seriously think he can hurt people?"

Charlie's shoulders dropped, knowing why Ike was asking the questions. Inhaling softly, Charlie cleaned off the curb side, sitting down next to him.

"I wish I could give you an answer," Charlie looked over at him. "I really do but I can't. I only know Aaron by the surface. I spent half a year with him... I don't know how he truly is or what he is. What I can tell you is that I promise you, nothing will happen to your family."