Chapter Seven

Charlie nodded, sinking into the seat with her hand over her eyes. Ike observed her as she moaning gently, now pressing both of her hands over her eyes. She seemed to be more stressed out than he was. Maybe he was thankful that he wasn't in such a mess than she seemed to be in.

"You...," Ike thought. "Acquainted with Aaron?"

Charlie brought her hands down from over her eyes, looking over at him in annoyance. Ike clenched his jaw, focusing back on the road. What was her problem? Why was she trying to go after Aaron? Personal reason? Ike didn't find any resemblance between her and Aaron for him to be her father. Shaking his head at his thoughts, Ike focused his attention back at the task at hand. Getting out of St.Louis and for New York.

"Do you-," Ike questioned, nearly forgetting the stranger with him for a moment.

"New York," she looked over at him. "I don't think I have a choice, do I?"

New York, New York ~Next Morning~
"What's up with- did you stay here," Chris asked, looking at the sleeping Evan leaned over on his desk. Shaking him awake, Chris chuckled. "How long have you been here?"

"Only since-," Evan glanced at his watch seeing that it was seven a.m. "Oh geez."

"Why did you stay here?"

"I guess I got caught up and I just-," Evan rubbed his face, inhaling deeply. Chris smirked slightly as he walked over to the coffee machine. "Have you heard anything from Ike?"

"No, why," Chris glanced back, pouring the coffee into the mug. "Has he called you?"

"No," Evan shook his head. "That's why I'm asking you."

Chris handed him the mug of coffee, glancing at the files. He caught sight of the name Aaron MacCallister, causing him to lean forward.

"What is this," Chris asked as he tried to pick up the file. Evan pushed the file back onto the desk, shutting as many files as he could from his father. "Evan Bryce Harrison, what is this?!"

"Dad, I can explain," Evan stood up, holding his hands up in defense. "Ike's been-."

"IKE? You're on Ike's side," Chris snapped. "Did he put you up to this?"

"Dad! Come on," Evan lowered his hands, voice getting softer. "Ike's lead is Aaron in his case. We don't-."

"Aaron was retired with the highest honors any cop could achieve," Chris pointed his finger at Evan in frustration. "He was honored by cops nearly all over the East Coast. If you're telling me your hothead brother is leading an investigation with my old partner, he's got something coming."

"And isn't it you who always says we need to stay neutral," Evan snapped, taking a step forward. He could feel his own temper rising dramatically, something that was even surprising himself. "Huh, Dad? Isn't that the first thing they teach us? Then what are you doing?"

"Aaron would take a bullet for me," Chris sneered. "I would do the same for him. Ike isn't going to do anything to hurt that man. Physically or even emotionally. You tell him that!"

Evan watched as his father slammed the door shut on his way out. Never in his life had he seen him so angry over anything. It amazed Evan the friendship those two must have had in their youth that stuck during all these years. Something must had happened to cause it, despite being partners. Sinking in the seat, Evan pressed his hands over his head. Hearing a familiar voice, Evan realized that Aaron was back.

Ike groaned softly feeling the grogginess kicking in. He rubbed his eyes for a second before realizing he was in the backseat of a car. Sitting quickly, he peered over the side of the seat to see the woman sleeping. Ike shook his head, inspecting his surroundings. He guessed sometime during the early morning she pulled into the rest stop to try to catch some sleep after they had switched to drive.