13

November 8,2020

•••

      I have been in this party for forty-five minutes and I already wanted to leave. I had a headache and I was a little sweaty from dancing. Even though, I have never had this much fun in my life, my headache was getting worse but I felt free the moment I put my foot through the door.

      I was dancing with Sofia and Dove was grinding on Thomas. Booboo and Cameron were nowhere to be found. Everything that ever hurt was gone for a moment. For the first time in a long time, I felt like a breeze.

I wasn't even drinking so you know it's real. I think I was the only person in here who wasn't drinking. It's a good thing because someone needs to drive when we leave. As I was dancing, I stop Sofia to tell her I wanted to get some air.

I went out the back of whoever house this was. The moment I got there I seen Cameron on his feet with a bottle of alcohol in his hands. "Cameron?" I asked as I walked closer to him.

"China? Is that you?" He asked. The way he was speaking to me, I immediately knew he was drunk.

"You're drunk." A drunk Cameron meant bad news. I have heard whispered stories in the bathroom and in class of Cameron and going on rampages, getting angry at the smallest things. I wasn't surprised though. He's like that either way, Sober or not.

"What do you take me for? Someone who-" he hiccups, interrupting himself. "Drinks a lot at parties?"

"I can smell the alcohol on your breath and I'm standing right next to you."

Someone snickers behind me and I turn my head to look at a dark-brown haired girl. Cameron gaze at the girl behind me. "Be quite, at least I can hold my alcohol past a bottle of beer."

I'm guessing he knows the girl. I was about to confront him and ask what he meant by that but he fell on the floor, into the leafy bushes next to me. I huff and annoyed that I'd have to carry him back at the car.

I turn my head to the stranger next to me. "Can you help me bring him to the car?"

She nodded. "I'm Brenna." She introduced.

I nodded not wanting to tell her my name. Between the two of us, we manage to drag him to the car, in the backseat. I sigh in relief. "He's definitely owes me."

•••

I made my way through the hallway, going into my class and sat on one of the plastic chairs. They weren't comfortable at all. Luckily the lessons went by quickly and soon it was lunch time.

Sofia and Dove were no where to be seen so I made my way outside and went over to sit on the benches. It was a warm day today.

My body stopped as soon as I saw a familiar face, hair swaying in the wind. He was leaving against an oak tree. He was alone. Something had compelled me to go over there. I should've learned to stay away from him by now. But I couldn't.

I made my way over there. He had his legs laid out in front of him and his headphones plugged in his ears. He looked relaxed. He looked almost peaceful and I was almost sorry I had to ruin that.

My heart skipped a beat when his eyes flickered to mine. "You're blocking the sun." He grunted as I stood right in front of him. He was dressed up in a tight white t shirt and black jeans. He wore a converse, those pair he always wore. "What are you doing here?"

"You seemed a little lonely so I wanted to come and talk to you." I sat next to him.

"I don't need your company." He stated.

"Stop whining." I replied.

"I like being alone. Don't you get that?" I look at him yet his eyes were on his hands.

"Yeah." Why was I here sitting next to him? I was stupid and annoying, yet I didn't wanna walk away.

Silence.

I looked away from him deciding what to say. I started doing swirling patterns on my jean clad thigh. "You never gave me a thank you."

He raised his eyebrows. "For what?" He questioned.

I can tell he drunk before in parties, so I'm not surprised if he does remember what happened. "Do you even remember anything that happened at the party?"

He looked at me and back down at his phone, ignoring me, plugging the headphones in his ear again. I'm guessing he do remember. I sigh and we were consumed with another round of silence. Cameron is like a mystery. I didn't know who he was or why he was here yet you couldn't seem to want to take your eyes off of him.

"How's your arm?"

"It's fine." He took his headphones out his ears.

"Can I look at it?"

"No." He shook his head.

"Why not?" I pouted. I could feel his eyes burning holes beside me.

"You'll start nursing it again."

I smiled. "Why do you make it seem like a bad thing?"

He shrugged. "Where you do you wanna go after high school?"

I looked at him. I didn't know what I wanted to do. I was scared to be an adult. All these responsibilities. We work to live and it's not fair. God did not put us on this earth to be slaves. We pay for food that comes from the ground when god gave us that for free.

"I don't know." I said. "I just want to graduate and get out of this shithole."

"The world's a shithole." He replied back almost venomously. He had such a pessimistic view of the world.

"Well-"

"Stop talking." He demanded. My lips fell shut as I look at him. "Better."

"You're-"

"Shhh." He tried to shut me up again.

"Stop it, cam-" He rest his finger on my lips.

"I said stop talking." His breath across my face and his finger still on my lips.

I didn't bother to say anything. God, China, it was only a little touch on the lips. I was a mess. His hands were so soft. His breath smell like mint. He signed and started to relax again. I look down at the grass not knowing what to do.

Why am I so nervous yet felt so free around him? When I'm with him, I can talk all day. Yet I don't speak to other people like this.

"It's so much easier, when you're quiet." He grumbled.

"I don't like silence." I don't like silence when I'm around you, I meant.

"Relax in it. It's better than having to tell your story to people you don't know." He pointed out.

"I don't. I just want to get to know you." I blurted out. I don't know why I just said that. He probably thought it was weird. I felt him take in a breath.

"Darling, you're playing a dangerous game." He said.

I wanted to reply but the bell rang. Cameron got up from his spot and was about to walk off before hesitating and pulling out his hand. I laid my hand on his and he pulled me up from the ground. Just as he pulled me up, he pulled his arm away, he began to walk off without me.

A dangerous game? I wasn't intending to play any type of game, yet alone a dangerous one.

•••

say yoo if you're reading this 😗