Chapter 6 - Oh, how time flies

Daemon POV

3 years later...

A stack of papers landed on my desk, and I internally groaned. I looked up at the smug look of my boss's secretary. Fucking bitch.

"This needs to be done tonight before ya go. Boss don't care if you gotta work overtime." Her voice was high pitched and obnoxious, the accent only making it worse. She walked away, heels clicking loudly throughout the whole office, hips swaying grossly. Her ass was practically falling out of that poor excuse of a skirt, the same goes for her chest. The woman had no decency. I sighed, picking up the stack of folders and paperwork before going back to typing away at my computer. The typical day work I had almost completed, the same day work I'd been doing for the past three years, in a human-run company. Not that I cared they were human.

..

The first plane out of that place three years ago was to somewhere in Europe. Some small city in Ireland. Didn't care at the time, still don't at the moment. I found a small apartment with the money I had, immediately found a job, and never looked back. If there were packs around here, I didn't know. Were there even werewolves in Europe? Probably. Everyone knew the whole cliche thing about vampires being here, and they were. Didn't bother with them either, the few I come across occasionally. I was rogue, they could smell, and even then I smelled very faintly of wolf anymore, I'm sure. My wolf hadn't talked to me in a while, only briefly making his presence known, and the last time that happened was for a split second last year. Bastard he was. I guess it was my fault though.

..

I finished my everyday work early, starting on the pile of papers the Bitch dropped off earlier. It was a boring process, probably all stuff she had to do but decided to dump on me for some reason. She didn't like me...I don't know why. I never did anything to her, I think she took one look at me when I applied for this job and decided she just was going to hate me for the rest of her life. Bitch.

Like earlier, I mindlessly shuffled through the work, typing things into my computer, writing things down, marking things up. Same. Boring. Process. But it was better than my alternatives.

...

Hours passed as I worked. I didn't notice as people filed out of the office, yelling to each other where they were going drinking that night. I focused on my pile of work, almost done with it. The Bitch hadn't come back to give me more work, which was nice, though I'm pretty sure she'd left hours before everyone else. I sighed, clicking one more thing before leaning back in my chair, stretching my arms above my head with a satisfying "pop".  I groaned, leaning forward and shutting my computer off, packing up all my papers, and stuffing them in my messenger bag before standing. I groaned again, wobbly on my legs after not standing all day. I quickly and quietly walked out of the office. I stepped outside onto the deserted sidewalk. Nobody was outside because it was cold, to start with, and most people were currently in bars anyway. I could hear the noise across the street at the pub, obnoxious laughing, and the smell of food. I wasn't hungry anyway. I was never that hungry anymore, only eating because I had to. I sighed, turning, and beginning my walk back to my apartment building.

I walked in silence not even bothering to put in my earbuds. I walked quickly, not a fan of the cold or being out in the open. Always a fear of mine, you never know what lurked in the shadows. My breath fogged in front of my face as I breathed out through my mouth with a sigh. I listened to the drunken rambles of the bars and pubs, only walking faster as they got louder until they got quieter.

Finally, I reached my apartment and quickly walked in, quietly going up the stairs. The elevator had been broken since I moved in, but I didn't care. I needed the workout anyway. Not that I wasn't skin and bones. Heh...