thirty

thirty

warnings: major character death, angst.

Stiles

The ride towards Oak Creek was quiet. The tension was high for the upcoming battle. I was feeling worse by the second, and I was pretty sure the others could tell. My eyes drifted off the road for a second and onto Scott who was sitting in the passenger seat of the jeep. He was staring at the dashboard, wondered off in his thoughts.

"Hey, you okay?" I asked.

Scott snapped out of his thoughts. "Yeah," he said quickly. "Yeah. You don't have to worry about me."

Silence fell over us again until Isaac interrupted it. "Alright, I'm gonna say it," he said. I could feel his eyes on the back of my neck. "You look like you're dying. You're pale and you're thin, and- you look like you're getting worse. And we're all sitting here thinking it."

"He's right," Valerie mumbled, though she didn't sound happy to admit it. "I swear I could literally feel how weak your life force was earlier."

My eyes flickered to lock with hers through the rearview mirror. "You can do that?" I asked. Valerie just shrugged softly and looked out the window.

Isaac ran a finger over his lips before speaking again. "When we find the other you is he gonna look like he's getting better?"

"What happens if he gets hurt?" Valerie asked, gaze still out the window.

"You mean, like, if he dies do I die? I don't care," I said, my voice cold but determined. "Just so long as no one else dies 'cause of me." My gaze locked with Valerie's again, it seemed my harsh words had finally gotten her to look away from the window. "I remember everything I did, Valerie. I remember hurting you. I remember pushing that sword into you, Scott. I remember twisting it."

"It wasn't you," Scott was quick to but in.

"Yeah, but I remember it. You guys gotta promise me... you can't let anyone else get hurt 'cause of me."