thirty six

warnings: some mentions of fighting, sex, arson, and death

Stiles

"I don't think he's just younger in body. I think he's younger in his mind, too," said Deaton as Lydia patched up the scratch on his arm that Derek had given him. It was the next day, and we had made our way to the animal clinic as soon as we could after Lydia had called Valerie and told her that Derek had woken up, attacked Deaton and ran away.

"He didn't recognize either of us," said Lydia, putting down the last piece of medical tape. "And he looked like he was scared out of his mind."

"So, if you're a teenage werewolf and you're scared, where do you go?" I asked.

"A wolf goes back to its den," said Scott. "But Derek lives in the loft."

"Not when he was a teenager," Valerie pointed out.

"The Hale house?" Lydia suggested.

Deaton nodded, brows furrowed in worry. "He wouldn't remember the fire. It wouldn't have happened yet."

Scott pursed his lips. "To the Hale house, I guess." But Lydia stopped him before he could go.

"Hold on," she said. "Say you do manage to catch up to him, what are you gonna say to him? That his whole family is dead?"

"I guess I'm going to have to."

"Oh? Good luck with that."

"Yeah, she's probably right," I said. "Maybe you shouldn't. You know, at least until we figure out how to get him back to normal."

"I can't lie to him."

Valerie shrugged. "Okay, I'll do it."

"I don't think any of us can. Remember, he can hear a heartbeat rising. When we find him, we tell him the truth."

"If he gets to the house first," Deaton warned, "you won't have to."