Chapter 4: At the Tavern

Saturo's POV
As this weird carriage thing was carrying me away, my back started to ache a bit from being thrown in here by that beast. The bumpy ride wasn't helping that much either.

After what seemed like twenty minutes of a bumpy ride, the wooden thing came to a stop. Its door opened and it literally threw me out of it somehow. I was now sitting on the ground. Looking around, I could see I was at the entrance of the town I resided in.

I looked behind me to see the wooden thing was already walking back down the path from the town and back into the woods. I guess it was some kind of a carriage. But how could it function like that? Only a curse could explain that.

I looked behind me for a few more moments until that thing was out of sight. Then, standing up, I checked my pockets for that rose.

Good. It was still there.

I walked towards my house and went inside. I hadn't been in there for more than a minute when I heard a knock on the door.

"Who could be here in this time of night?" 

I walked to the front door and opened it. Shelby was standing there, looking up at me.

"Shelby, why are you up this late?" I asked, looking down at her while rubbing my tired eyes.

"I know I should be in bed, mister Tachibanna, but I saw you walk into your house just now and I wanted to ask you a question!" Shelby said.

"Is it about the rose you requested for me to get for Yuki?"

A nod from her was all I needed. I reached for my pants pocket and pulled it out. Surprisingly, it didn't look that bad despite the short journey I was on.

"I have it right here." I said, giving it to her. Shelby took it and looked at me with a smile.

"Thank you! Uummmm.....where is Yuki?"

"It's a long story." I replied as I sighed.

"You do not want to talk about it, do you?" Shelby asked.

I nodded. 

"You wouldn't believe me anyway." I said.

"You are probably right about that. It is late, after all." Shelby said as she shrugged.

"True. Now then, when Yuki comes home, tell Yuki you got that rose for him. He might buy it."

"Of course, sir." Shelby said while curtsying.

"Now then, where should you be?" I asked.

"Good girls should be in bed!" Shelby said as she stopped her curtsy.

We both said good night to each other and Shelby ran off. Turning around, I went back inside my home and I walked to my bedroom.

"Quite a day today was." I muttered, flopping down on my bed. I didn't even bother to change my clothes. My eyelids growing heavy, I began to drift off, but not before Yuki popped into my mind.

Even though I didn't care much for my son, I couldn't help but wonder if he was safe with that beast.
***********
I saw Yuki standing next to a boy with short blue hair. Who was this kid?

"Yuki, stay away from him! You have to be safe!" I said

"Kira's not like that anymore, Father!" Yuki said.

Oh, so it was Kira. I should have known because of the blue hair.

"Don't give me that! A beast will always be a beast! He looks human, but you know you'll have to marry Shelby!" I said as I rushed towards Kira, raising a fist when I got close enough.

Before I could get an attack in, Kira grabbed my shirt collar and threw me to the side. I landed on the floor, but quickly began to get up.

"He's with me now." Kira said as he placed a hand on my son's shoulder and started walking away with him. They started to quickly disappear from my view.

"NO!" I said as I got up and tried to run towards Yuki, but that was when everything changed.

"Oh, and Father? I never liked Shelby."

I woke up as soon as Yuki said that. That last part couldn't be true.

"That's it. I have to do something about that beast. I have to at least warn everyone that he exists." I thought as I got out of bed.

I didn't care that the townsfolk most likely wouldn't believe me, but I knew they respected me, and that was enough for me.

I walked out of my room, my house, and made my way into the town. On the way, I decided to think about what I'd say in my head.

I would leave Kori and Neon out of it. They meant no harm, or at least Neon seemed to be like that.

The opposite goes for that beast who Neon called Kira. What's with that name, anyway?

Oh, who cares. I finally stood in front of the tavern. Thinking things over once more, I walked into the tavern, the doors closing behind me.

"HEY!" I shouted, which caused everyone to look away from Shelby and direct their attention at me. I guess they were singing a song about her from the looks of things.

Amazing that she wasn't asleep in her bed.

"Saturo! What is wrong?"

"You aren't in bed, Shelby?"

"Yes. I was not tired." She replied.

I tried to ignore the fact that Shelby and I were somehow still talking and turned my attention to everyone else in the tavern.

"Now listen to me. I know what I'm about to say is crazy, but trust me on this. Monsters are REAL!" I said, clenching my fists tightly.

Some of the townsfolk exchanged confused glances as some of them directed confused looks at me. I looked at Shelby to see her reaction, but I could tell she wasn't buying it with her narrowed eyes and her hands she kept on her hips...or waist, in the case of that poofy dress she was wearing.

"Sure, mister Tachibanna."

"I'm not kidding! They've got Yuki!" I said, crossing my arms. 

Shelby's expression immediately changed from disproving to surprise. Her eyes widened as she took her hands off her waist.

"Yuki?" 

Of course she'd care when I mentioned Yuki.

"Yes, my son Yuki." I replied.

Two of the townsfolk got up from their chairs and walked towards me. One of them didn't believe me, but the other was confused.

"Are you tired?" Asked the confused one.

"Not even a little bit."

"Monsters aren't real." The other one said.

"I believed that too, but this one is!" I said.

The two townsfolk patted my shoulder and started to pull my arms towards the entrance of the tavern.

Oh, just great. They were either gonna throw me out or push me out.

I knew they wouldn't believe me, but I thought it was best to at least try to tell them about that beast, even though I didn't specify that.

"Just go to bed, Saturo." One of them said as the two townsfolk pushed me out of the tavern and back into the humid summer air. I began walking back to my house.

I'll prove it to them someday, but....how would I do that?" I thought as I entered my house and closed the door behind me.

I walked to my room, kicked my boots off, laid on my bed, and closed my eyes.

I guess we'll just see what the future holds, now won't we?

End chapter