Chapter 16: Goodbye, Yuki

That night, I had another dream about Kira. It was a lot like the other dream I had and very similar to that ballroom dance; the only difference is she was human.

"So what's it like being human again?" I asked.

"It's nice, and it's all thanks to you, Yuki." Kira said.

"It's nice that I was able to make you guys human again. And look at Neon and Kori! They sure look happy, don't they?" I asked, smiling as I looked over at them, both of whom were also dancing. Kira looked at them as well.

"Yeah. They sure do." Then Kira looked at me, her expression softening.

"Sorry for treating you badly when you first got here." She said.

"Oh, it's fine, Kira. At least you started to get nicer." I responded as our dance stopped.

"Yeah, and that's all thanks to you! You broke this curse, but in a way, I guess we both did." She said, patting my back.

"Staying here was a great decision."

"Without you, we wouldn't be back to normal."

That was when I woke up. My body was hot and this time I was sweaty, but I didn't care this time.

"Now that's a dream I want to remember for the rest of my life."

Being giddier than I should, I closed my eyes and drifted off into another dream that also had to do with Kira.
****************
Later that day, I saw Kira in the hallway. When I tried to talk to her, she gave me a glance and walked away.

"I'm busy, Yuki. Maybe later." She said.

"Okay then." I said, walking back to my room.
****************
When I saw Kira reading a book the next day, I walked in there to ask what she was reading, but she closed the book, set it on the table in front of her, and looked at me.

"Hello."

"Hi." I said.

"Are you okay? You didn't talk to me that much yesterday." I said.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Are you hungry? I'm hungry. I'll go get us something to eat." Kira said, and then she walked past me and walked out of the room.

"Guess she wasn't kidding when she said she was busy yesterday." I thought, then shrugged, and reached for the book she had placed on the table to see what it was.
*****************
You might have noticed a pattern by now. It seems like Kira has been avoiding me for the past few days, and I think it was all because of that kiss.

At some point when I was walking down the hall, I saw her walk towards me in my direction, but it looked like she was going in the opposite direction and could walk past me at any second. She was wearing the clothes I first met her in-white shirt and black trousers-but the bright red cape she once wore was now a dark blue.

Once we got close enough and she was just a little bit in front of me, I decided I could stop her right then and there.

"Kira-"

"Oh, I've been meaning to talk to you, Yuki! You said ya still had yer dad, right?" She asked.

"Not what I was going to ask her about, but I can bring that up later. Just focus on the question she asked you." I thought.

I nodded.

"Yeah, but we don't get along very well." I replied.

"But what if he's worried about you? He's still family. I don't think he'd mind if you went back home for just a little bit." Kira asked.