Part 18

The crowd looked at Rachel with a dumbfounded expression. Their noses turned upwards, judging the way she spoke. Rachel unapologetically shifted her weight from one foot to the next. Taking a sip of white wine from her glass, she met Mr. Henderson's cold glare. 

"These children need my direction. Otherwise, they would ruin their future off of a spur of lust! One bad decision could ruin everything I created. Therefore, I see no reasoning for your disapproval of Sophia's marriage to Daniel." Mr. Henderson grunted. He turned to his guest, prepared to apologize for Rachel's outburst. 

Sophia stared at Rachel with admiration for standing up for her. She never had the courage to stand up to her father. It was easier to remain quiet as the man dictated her every move. Doubt is what clouded her mind as Rachel spoke the words she should have been saying.

"Well, it's not that I disapprove of the situation. It's just the simple fact that your children are adults. They should have the freedom to make whatever mistakes they desire. From that point on, it's up to them to clean up their mess. As a parent, you should support them in whatever they choose. You can only trust that you have raised them right before cutting the umbilical cord." Rachel placed her glass on the wooden table.

Mr. Henderson sent a death glare to Sophia as she snickered before turning back to Rachel. "Who are you to tell me how I should parent? I suppose your parents allowed you to rip and run as a teenager? The parents you just described leaves nothing for their children after they're long gone. They sit back and watch their kids ruin their lives while choosing the wrong people and paths. Tell me what do you have to offer besides ecstasy?"

"Father!" Elijah growled with much annoyance. 

Rachel placed her hand on Elijah's arm before smiling gently. "I do apologize if I've offended you, sir. However, in the short time that I've known Sophia, I grew close to her. It's easy to tell when she's displeased, scared, or upset. Even an outsider could tell that marriage is something she doesn't want. I'm not a fan of being forced to anything I don't want, and wouldn't want anyone I care about to experience it. As for my parents, I don't see how any of the matters. They weren't perfect by any means, but they let me make mistakes. Those mistakes were what made me into the woman I am today. The type of person that is not afraid to speak my mind when being talked down on. What do I have to offer to a relationship? A clear mindset that doesn't involve a toxic parent dictating my every move." Rachel gulped the remaining contents of her wine. 

"Dear, child. You must be single." Mrs. Henderson stated.

"Why yes. I am. My schedule revolves around my career and schooling. Pleasure comes last."

Hunter was memorized by the vixen sitting across from him. Out of all the women, he would associate himself with, he had never met someone that could stand up to his father. He felt terrified for Rachel, yet he was turned on by how headstrong she was. Hunter never met a woman that could add to his life mentally, spiritually, and physically. It was then when he realized he officially wanted Rachel as his partner. 

Intrigued by the conversation, Christen laughed. Normally, the Henderson siblings would sit quietly in the background as their father did all the talking. It was easier to avoid conflict. But Rachel dared to speak against Mr. Henderson's immoral chatter. 

"Dear sister does not wish to marry after graduation?" Christen questioned Sophia. 

Sophia turned to Rachel, a silent plea for help. Rachel cocked her head to the side and nodded slightly. Rachel wanted her dear friend to finally speak her mind when it came to her father.

"N-no." Sophia started. She sighed and straightened her back as she looked at her father in his eyes. "What I mean, I do not wish to marry anyone after graduation. Don't get me wrong Daniel, I think you're a nice person, but I do not know you. I want a relationship that's not forced but rather built on time, love, and understanding. Furthermore, I want to travel before starting my own company. Working at Henderson Inc is not my dream. It is yours."