Chapter 10

I felt like something froze me on the spot. My hands were shaking and my eyes were scanning every content of the paper. I couldn't believe it. I couldn't understand it. 

A huge debt. 

We have a huge debt hanging above our heads. 

It was my Mom, the debt was under her name. It was such a huge sum that we can actually live in luxury. But where did it all go? There's so many zeros and it's making my head hurt. 

I kept on reading the paper and had to go back a few times because there were parts I couldn't understand. There were a lot of terms unfamiliar to me. 

"Off to the library." I blurted out loud. 

"Off to where?" A voice muttered behind me. I jumped in surprise when I saw that it was Claude. He was confused with my reaction. I quickly broke into a smile at the sight of him. 

"Claude!" I said excitedly. I crumpled the paper and swiftly stuffed it into my pocket. 

"I was looking for you." He said in his usual tone but his eyes went from my head down to my feet. 

I laughed awkwardly. I forgot that I look like crap right now. I saw how his eyes looked worried so before he asks more I beat him to it. 

"I fell earlier. I didn't want to be late so I didn't go back." I said quickly to stop his worries. He didn't looked convinced. 

"Fell where? Are you hurt?" He asked in a gentle tone. Looking at me with a hard expression. Like he's trying to figure something out. 

"Fell? In the wet grass. Hurt? No." I shook my head and smiled.  

He nodded and slowly reached out to brush my hair. My eyes widened and I quickly took a step back. 

"I'm drenched and dirty. Don't do that." I told him off and he sighed. He swiftly took off his jacket and have it to me. 

"Whatever you say." He said in a sarcastic voice.  "Now then, to the library?"

I wanted to look into the paper more. I can't do it if he's with me. 

"To the cafeteria. I'm hungry." I said instead. I walked ahead of him and he then slowly followed behind me. 

"Diana." He called out. 

"Hm?"

"Too bad we're not on the same class." 

I actually felt relieved that we're not. 

"Yeah, too bad." I replied.  "... how unlucky." I trailed off. 

I stare down at the floor at how awful I feel at the moment. The food at the cafeteria couldn't fill the hollow pit in my stomach. The food was awful too. I looked at Claude wearing a smile on his face. I looked at him weirdly. 

"You enjoy this?" I asked disgusted. He gasped and covered the food with his hands. Pretending that it has ears. I laughed at his antics. 

"You don't?" He snorted. I shook my head and smiled. 

I can't point out what's bothering me. There are just too many things happening; Dad, Mom, and then Penelope. Then that huge debt sticks out like a sore thumb. 

"Diana."

Where is she anyway? Mom disappeared like thin air. Dad doesn't even bother looking for her. He just thinks drinking would somehow answer his questions. That ticket is still in my room, I think. 

"Diana." 

Why does Penelope have this paper? Is this a sick prank of hers? Aside from being entitled is she also rich? Did Mom borrow money from her family or something?

"Diana!" Claude called out and pinched my cheek. 

I stare at him blankly. 

"What?" I asked in an annoyed voice. 

"I was talking to you. You weren't listening."

"Really now." 

"Really." Claude said. 

"I was jus trying to recall something. So do me a favor and shut up for a moment." he glared at what I said but did it anyway. 

Then a memory of Mom suddenly came to my mind uninvited. 

Death was coming out of her eyes; it was beautiful and sad. Those eyes looked at my Dad often and then it would stare at me coldly even though she was wearing a smile. 

A/N;

I didn't proof read. 

Just wanted to write this chapter out of nowhere. 

Also, I can't believe that one of my Professor at college keeps sending out activities when school is supposed to be suspended. Haven't done any of it yet Haha. Jokes on me. 

Have a nice day and thank you for reading.