Prologue

~~✶♡✶~~

Most tragic stories start with a dark and stormy night. 

This one, however, started off the best way possible with the unimaginable as an ending.

~~✶♡✶~~

Little Addilyn Potter was giggling happily as she rode on her father's back. It was Halloween and this little drama queen got her own unicorn as a ride. 

"Daddy." The one-year-old whispered into her dad's animagus ear. "Twick or tweet."

Her father's deer-like form shook his head in laughter before turning back into himself. Addilyn clapped as he brought her into his arms and whispered, "Trick." The little princess giggled as her dad gave her a small ball that was a vomit color. Bringing a finger to his lips, he shushed her with a silent smile. 

The two stealthily crept up a flight of stairs and right next to an open door. "Ready, Adds?" James Potter asked his daughter before the two started counting together.

"One" "On"

"Two" "Toowf"

"FREE!" Addilyn cut her father off as she rolled the ball into the room, making it explode and let out a pungent smell.

"JAMES!" A female voice screamed in irritation as the sound of a child crying was heard from inside the room making the father-daughter duo burst into a round of giggles.

A redhead came out with a crying boy attached to her hip, eyes on fire. She opened her mouth to scold them but was cut off by the little Lynie.

"Twick Mummy!" The little girl said with a large smile on her face earning a laugh from her dad.

"James, this is what you teach our daughter?" Addilyn's mother asked her husband in a scolding tone while trying to calm the little boy down in her arms.

"Lilypad, relax," James said while he grabbed his daughter back into his arms. "It's Halloween."

Lily tried to hold an unapproved look on her face but quickly broke out into a smile. "I guess it is Halloween. Just this one time, ok?"

Her daughter's smile grew brighter in response. Everyone seemed happy minus the little boy in his mother's arms who had a frown etched on his face.

"Someone is grumpy, hey Harry?" James asked his son while tickling Harry's neck with his free hand. 

"Stawp Daddy." Harry protested while trying to push his father's hands from his neck. 

"Hey, bub," James said as he leaned down. "How about we play quidditch?" The little boy instantly perked up at the sound of his favorite word, next to 'mummy' of course. Reaching his hands out towards his dad, Harry got swooped into his father's arms across from his twin sister. 

Once Harry was in his arms, James held both of his two kids tight and ran down the stairs. His son's happy screams were heard along with his daughter's shout of 'Daddy!' as she clung onto his jumper. 

Skipping the last two steps, James jumped down onto the main floor.

"Again!" Harry yelled, his green eyes lit up with pure joy.

Addilyn turned to her brother and glared at him with the same eyes. "No Hawy."

"Yes Winnie," Harry replied.

"No!" She screamed.

"Yes!" He yelled right back.

The two toddlers got into a little spat of 'no's and 'yes's until their father placed Addilyn into her mother's arms while he brought Harry over to get his little broomstick. 

Little Addilyn grumbled toddler nonsense in her mother's arms as she played with her flaming hair. Lily laughed at her daughter and carried her over to the kitchen.

Placing Addilyn in one of the chairs, she sat right next to her daughter. "I got a surprise, Lynie." 

The toddler's eyes grew in excitement. "Tweet?" she asked.

Reaching over the table, Lily Potter grabbed a small package and handed it to her daughter. "Treat, Lynie."

Addilyn quickly grabbed the package and ripped it open revealing a licorice wand. Addilyn let out an excited squeal before biting into it. "Fanks too Mummy." She said with her mouth stuffed with the delicious candy.

"You're welcome, Lynie." Lily smiled.

Picking the little brunette toddler, she carried her back into the living room where her husband was chasing her son around who was on a broom.

The family of four happily enjoyed each other's company forgetting all worries. Having their eyes on little Harry, they didn't see Addilyn quietly reach over and snatch her dad's wand. Running away with a trail of quiet giggles, Addilyn hid in the downstairs bathroom. 

She waited and waited for her dad to realize that his wand was missing while she sat on the cool tile of the bathroom. 

She didn't hear the door break open or her father's last words being said to his wife. Little Addilyn didn't hear the thud of her special daddy's body as it hit the ground dead nor did she hear her mother's last cry in protest. 

Addilyn just sat there waiting. 

Once her little toddler patience ran out, she stood up and walked out of the bathroom. She let out a small giggle once she saw her father on the floor of the living room.

"Daddy!" She happily shouted and ran over to her father. She jumped on top of him and brought him in a big hug. 

But he didn't hug her back.

This confused little Addilyn because her daddy never missed the chance to give his little girl a hug. "Daddy?" Addilyn sat up on her father's chest and started counting the way he taught her.

"On... toowf... free!" She happily yelled trying to get her daddy's attention.  

But James didn't respond at the end of her counting. So, the little brunette started counting again. 

"On... toowf... free!" 

But he still didn't answer her.

Addilyn started poking her dad's cheek with his wand. "Free, Daddy."

He still didn't answer her. "Daddy?" she asked starting to tear up.

"Free, Daddy! Free." 

Addilyn broke down into tears, bringing her face into his jumper. Wet puddles started forming while she clung to him for dear life.

Through her cries, she whispered two words in one last attempt to get him to wake up and play. 

"Free, Daddy."