chapter twnty one: alliance

Lyra

Lyra

She was aware that Jet isn't going to make it to house where Order of The White Lotus is if she don't walk faster. She wanted to bend them away, but it would make his state even worse.

'Why are you helping me?' he asked with confused tone, like he was trying to murder someone moment before.

'You are hurt and I have empathy.' Lyra replied, 'Believe me, this isn't my ideal way to spend afternoon either.'

'Where are we going?' his voice was weak, but he still menage to ask her questions.

'To see my friends.' she wanted to choose words carefully. There is nothing she wanted more then Smellerbee and Longshot by her side right now, but it wasn't possible. 'They can help you.'

'I can take care of myself. It's not serious, I have group to lead--' it sounded ridiculous to Lyra, so she decide to cutt him off.

'I thought same thing years ago. Didn't end up well.' she said smugly, remembering how her own recklessness gave her hundred years of nothingness.

'Didn't you sacrafice yourself to save earth kingdome? You know, after not wanting to be with fire lord? Earth Kingdom helped you and--' he stopped talking when noticed Lyras expression.

'What is happening with people today and fetishizing sacrafices? I don't feel comfortable talking about it. I don't even feel comfortable being alive now.' her tone was angry but her voice  become quiter as she ended sentence, mostly because she knew the truth.

She didn't belong there. It wasn't her destiny to be surrounded by people younger then her 100 years, yet with same looks. She was uncomfortable with fact that she love fire nation prince more then she want to admit.

'This is first time that I don't lead something since I turned 8.' Jet replied  and Lyra have him strange look, but she didn't want to push him into talking about past. Expecially after telling him how she don't want to talk about hers.

'I was impostor on ship for months.' she started, 'Never was hurt, but same situation with leading things. It comes naturally'

'We have two things in common already. Hate for fire nation and we were forced to become leaders at young age.' she was aware that he was trying to make things less uncomfortable, but it didn't go in right way.

'I don't hate anyone. Our nation is forgiving, and I'm ready to make new start.' her voice was harsh, like she was trying to convince herself that it's truth.

They went further into forest next to lake until they noticed old cottage. It seem same like last time, but Lyra didn't even bother to knock. She invade house while holding Jet by her side.

'You shouldn't be here! It's dangero-- Princess, who is the boy?' Jim, one of members, asked. He closed the doors fastly, and noticed how sick Jet seem.

'What happened to him?' he questioned and Lyra wanted to snap. What could happen with half dead teenager? He don't have disase for sure.

'It's complicated, but we need healers. He was crushed by rock.' She replied seriously and man nodded.

'Some water benders from Order are at Ba Sing Se. I will get them, you can sit here.' Jim said and walked to doors, but then turned around, giving Lyra dangerous look. 'Dont let anyone in, princess.'

'As you say.' she replied as they watched man leaving the cottage. Unlike when she was with Zuko, silence with Jet wasn't enjoyable. Just akward.

'So you are fighter too? I'm pretty good usually.' Jet said with smirk, like he was challenging her.

'You are? Because I would love to fight you when your insades come back in the right place.' she replied with playful smile, knowing that Jet have zero chance. Was he good? Probably. Better then her? Definetly not.

'You are confident, princess. That won't last long, I'm not going to let you win for being pretty.' she wasn't sure was he trying to provokate her, but it definitely worked.

'Big words for someone whose organs are smashed.' Lyra said rudely, but it wasn't her intention. Jet just touched her nerve with insulting her skills, even jokingly.

'Isn't air nation supposed to be peaceful and calm?' Jet questioned, 'You sound chaotic.'

'Yet I saved your life. I'm perfectly peaceful and beautifully chaotic. You can't argue with that.' she explained and Jet seem confused. She wasn't sure was that rhetoric question, but it wasn't important.

'I would be fine. You didn't have to do that with bending.' his voice become louder, but she could hear how insecure he was in his own words.

'You could.' she lied, 'but I wanted to help you. It's in my nature.'

'Why didn't you go with Avatar? They have battle plan and goals, while we can't do anything for days now. Expecially since you don't want revenge.' he started blabbering, sounding passionate about revenge. She thought it was cute that he thought how he would be fine in few days.

'I did what I feel I needed to.' she stared at one dot in cottage, trying to concentrate. 'This is my second chance and I don't want to blow it up.'

'You are way more relaxed then I expected, princess.' Jet smirked at her, not breaking eye contact for second. 'I get why you got along with Smellerbee and Longshot'

Before she could add something, doors opened and revealed Jim with two more old men.

'You should come to help too if you can, princess.' Jim said seriously, 'They would need all help before Yugoda come.'

___

Quick question (yes, I added this too late) : do you like this type of chapters