chapter 10.5

a/n PLEASE READ!!!! most of the time you can skip but please not now. this chapter has SPOILERS!!! to chapter 6, danganronpa 3, and basically everything!!! if you don't know, don't read this chapter!!! it's not essential to the plot, just a snippet of the readers backstory and a reference to the future foundation!!!

you didn't run to the hotel, like everyone else. you walked at a leisurely pace, as your mind was still plagued by the usami strap.

it wasn't significant, and you doubted it really hurt her feelings. but it just... didn't sit right with you. seeing everyone throw something away, something that she was excited about... just because it didn't benefit them. it.. it hit too close to home.

these horrid thoughts made your head hurt, so badly. the repressed memories were coming up too fast, too many of them. you decided to sit underneath a tree until they passed.

maybe some alone time would do you good, you had been with hajime and nagito the whole day. plus interacting with a bunch of new people... it was all so straining.

as you sat in the sand, and rested your head on the tree, you felt the memories consume you.

you entered the training room and saw your dad in the center of the mat, waiting for you.

"daddy look what i made! it's a drawing of me, you, mom-"

your dad snatched the paper out of your hands, staring at it with disgust.

"why would you make this, [y/n]"

"b-because i-"

"because you're unfocused. ungrateful of my teachings. i noticed talent in you, so i spend my time training you. for what? for you to not care? to waste time on art? you're not even good at it."

your eyes began to water, "i just-"

he interrupted you again, "you just wasted my time. your time. everyone's time. you're wasting your talent, is that what you want? do you want to be a failure?"

"n-no..."

as if to teach you a lesson, he ripped the paper in half. right in front of you. it probably wasn't much, but as a kid it meant the world. your affections, your effort, you're love, all of it was dismissed. and for what? it was for the sake of your talent.

from the day you were born you were to be nothing more than a warrior, better than any soldier, any fighter, any athlete. that's who you were, [y/n] [l/n], the ultimate warrior. that's what was instilled into you, your whole life.

"never waste my time again. you are good for one thing, and that is being a warrior. being strong, being the best, okay?"

"b-but i-i just w-wanted to show you how m-much i l-love you." you got out between sniffles.

it was silent, for a moment, and only a moment.

the room was quickly filled with the harsh sound of a slap. and you could hardly process the stinging pain on your left cheek.

tears were streaming down your face, but you knew better than to make any noise.

"no more of that bullshit. now, are you ready to stop being worthless and train to be something better?"

"yes, sir."

you opened your eyes, not wanting to see anymore of that. but, you counted yourself lucky. that wasn't even the worst of it.

"i wonder... can usami hear me? she did say she can come from anywhere?"

and as if on queue, she appeared.

"you called, my lovely student?"

you tried to erase the sad look on your face, hoping it wasn't obvious.

"y-yeah. i just wanted to say... thank you for the usami strap."

"huh?" she looked at you in shock.

"i know a lot of people threw it away, or got rid of it. and i know that would've made you sad, even if you're not human... so, i just wanted to say thanks."

"[y/n]..." she sniffled.

"usami, i really appreciate it. i'll carry it with me as much as i can, it's an amazing gift. i'm sorry the others couldn't see it. you probably put a lot of effort into it.."

the magic bunny girl said nothing but stared at the floor, and you were worried you'd hurt her feelings. it wasn't until she grabbed your hand did you know that she was happy.

"thanks, [y/n]. for embracing hope and love!"

that part lost you for a second, but you think you understood the meaning behind it. you gave her a lopsided smile.

"sure," you nodded at her, "i'll go and get changed now."

"bye! bye!"

as your body disappeared further and further into the distance. it was silent, many people were pondering.

usami was thinking, and the members of the future foundation who were watching, were thinking, and it was all curiosity about the same general topic.

how did you end up as an ultimate despair?

how did someone as warm and compassionate as yourself turn into a vicious war criminal? from what they've seen, you're nothing but a sweetheart... a kind, humorous, friendly, teenage girl... so how did it end up this way? where did that girl go? you were...a good person.

how did junko enoshima turn one of the brightest beacons of hope into, without a doubt, the most horrifying of the despairs?