Chapter Twenty-Seven | Code Names

unedited

"Welcome folks, to UA High's first annual field day!" Present Mic enthusiastically shouted into the microphone(not that he needed it), earning cheers from all the film crew staff. It was nothing like the crowd from the sports festival, but there were at least a couple hundred people from various news stations.

"There are a lot more people here than I was anticipating..." Mashirao offhandedly commented, briefly scanning the sea of reporters and high-tech cameras.

"An audience always makes these events more exciting," Momo said with a nod, sending a quick smile and wave towards some of the cameras.

"This is so stupid..." Katsuki grumbled, hunched over in his signature gremlin boy waddle. Shoto glanced down at the blond boy, rolling his eyes at the ugly expression he had on his face.

"If you have that kind of attitude you're bound to be miserable." he deadpanned, blatantly ignoring the string of curse words that were thrown at him immediately after. "Regardless of how productive this may be," he came to a stop behind his classmates, pausing to look into piercing red eyes. "We're still gonna win, right?"

The dual haired boy was barely able to contain the pure euphoria that coursed through his veins as Katsuki's mouth curved into a familiar demon-like smirk. "Don't ask stupid questions halfie," he practically snarled, standing up straight to meet Shoto's gaze. "We'll be the indisputable champions."

"Allllllrighty! Guys, gals, and non-binary pals, can I get some cheers of encouragement for these brave second years!?" Present Mic held the microphone out towards the television crews, who supplied a surprisingly energetic cheer. "That's what I'm talking about! To start off, we're gonna have everyone meet with the partner they chose to do a quick test of your friendship!"

Shoto glanced around, observing multiple other second years moving next to their partners with excited smiles. "The students from other courses seem to have a better attitude than they did at the sports festival last year."

Katsuki scoffed. "Probably because they think they have a chance at winning since we're not relying on quirks or training. They don't realize that we're gonna crush them no matter what tricks or bullshit friendships they have going on."

Shoto blinked. "Isn't competing with your friends the whole point? That's why we're partners." he turned to look at the blond, tilting his head as he thought aloud. "We're friends, aren't we?"

Katuski rolled his eyes, turning to look towards Present Mic. He grumbled something inaudible, shoving the taller boy with his shoulder.

"For the first test, everyone is going to choose a code name for their partner! It can be a nickname, hero name, pretty much anything except their real name!" Present Mic explained. "The catch is, you're not allowed to discuss the code names with your partner! You have to come up with it all on your own, and your partner doesn't get a say! In other words, you can choose a really ridiculous name and nobody can do anything about it!"

Various students nervously glanced at their partner while others snickered as numerous ideas came to mind. Shoto was expecting Katsuki to threaten him into not choosing anything funny, but he wasn't all that suprised when he saw an evil smirk stretched across the blond's face. "At least you have lots of options," the half and half boy muttered.

"After choosing your partners code name, you will write it down on a piece of paper and fold it, putting it into an envelope with your names on it. It will then be passed on to the judges, who will read the code names aloud and proceed to rate each combo! Remember, your code name is what you'll be referred to as for the rest of the event!"