forty

RAINY DAYS
7th September 2020

Alaïa woke up with a smile, Kian had his arms wrapped around her torso as he slept. She didn't want to move just yet, in fear that she'd wake him up. She almost let out an 'aww' at his soft snores and mumbles.

"Morning." Lono whispered as he peaked his round the corner of her door. He noticed that Kian was still sleeping so he stayed as quiet as possible. "Shut the doors when you get a chance, it's gonna rain later." He motioned towards the patio doors that the couple left wide open last night, due to the hot weather.

"Okay." Alaïa smiled towards her older brother. "Did you sleep well?"

"Okay, what about you?" Lono quizzed, his eyes flickering to Kian who nuzzled his head into the crook of Alaïa's neck.

"Perfect." She whispered and ran her fingers through his soft hair. Kian mumbled something in his sleep, which neither of the siblings could make out.

"I'll leave you alone before we wake him up." Lono chuckled and tapped the door frame before pulling the door shut.

Alaïa opened up her phone and took a few photos of Kian sleeping, his head nuzzled into her neck and his arms around her. She decided to set it as her lock screen, rather than the plain black screen.

She then opened up instagram and saw all the comments. A few of Kian's fans were happy about the fact that he was back in Hawaii with her and the others weren't so much.

Alaïa placed her phone down once she saw the comments telling her that she wasn't good enough for Kian. She knew better than to believe them, but they did get to her.

Alaïa placed a kiss on the boys forehead making him smile.

"You're awake?" She questioned as she watched a cheeky grin form on his face. "Of course you are."

"I just didn't want you to move." He whined and pulled her closer to him, so much so that he was practically laid on top of her.

"Well it's going to be raining later, so we'll probably be in here all day." Alaïa muttered. "Doubt you want to spend time with those to fools."

"I do." Kian sat up and grabbed the girls hands. "I want to get to know your family. I want to meet your frien-"

"Yeah don't have any of those. Only Danny." Alaïa muttered sheepishly. Not many people lived on the beaches in Hawaii, so she just made friends with the tourists.

"Well I want to meet your family, get to know them, make sure they like me." Kian rambled on.

Alaïa smiled and sat up, facing Kian.

"Like you? I'm pretty sure Lani fancies you." She chuckled.

"I only have eyes for one Hale." Kian announced.

"He's talking about me." Lono shouted from outside. "And yeah Kian, we do like you. Now get out here and come help set up for breakfast."

Alaïa groaned and jumped out of the bed. She pulled on one of Kian's sweaters and offered her hand for him. Kian grabbed the top that he had worn the previous day and pulled it over his head.

"Morning sleepy heads." Lani said as she looked up at the clock. "It's almost noon."

~

The day went by pretty quickly. The twins, Kian and Alaïa were all trapped inside due to the rain, not that they minded much.

Kian had asked the twins if they were okay being on camera for his youtube video, which they of course said yes too. Kian had told Alaïa that he had wanted to film some of his time in Hawaii.

So whilst it was raining and the four of them were playing monopoly, Kian pulled out his camera to record bits of it.

"You're such a sore loser, Lono." Lani laughed clapping her hands. She had just won the game.

"I am not." Lono said stroppily as he crossed his arms.

Alaïa came back with two drinks in her hands, one for herself and one for Kian. She sat beside the boy and placed a light kiss on his cheek. Kian's hand rested on her thigh as he watched the twins pack away the game.

"Lono, you are the worst loser. I remember some time when you were teaching me how to place snap, when I was 5 may I add." Alaïa looked to her brother and laughed. "And I won so he threw all the cards on the floor." She paused. "You were 17." She giggled, making Kian's heart flutter.

"Really?" Kian questioned trying to hold on a laugh.

"Really." Alaïa nodded.

"I can confirm this actually happened." Lani said as she held her hand up. "Mom and dad went ballistic that Alaïa-" Lono sent his sister a sharpe glare. "Sorry." She muttered. Kian felt Alaïa tense at the mention of her parents, but thought it was probably best not to ask.

"I'm gonna shower." Alaïa said as she stood up and walked away.

"Well done Lani." Lono scoffed at his sister. "You just had to mention them."

"I-I'm sorry I just didn't think-" Lani stuttered over her words.

"As usual." Lono muttered and walked away.

"I'll should go and check on Lai." Muttered Kian. Lani nodded and watched as the boy walked into Alaïa's room. "Alaïa?"

"I'm showering." She shouted, she had left the door open a crack just incase Kian came in looking for her. "Gimme two."

Kian sat on the end of the bed, fiddling with the friendship bracelets that Alaïa had made them on the road trip.

"You okay?" Kian questioned once he saw the girl come out of the bathroom from the corner of his eye.

"Yeah, sorry about that." She muttered sitting next to him.

"Want to talk about it?" Kian questioned looking at her. Alaïa's west hair framed her face perfectly and she wore one of Kian's yellow tops.

"My parents?" She chuckled. "Umm not much to say really." She lied.

"It didn't look like not much." Kian muttered, linking their hands. "You can take to me."

"Yeah, you're right." She mumbled and turned her body fully to face him. "Might as well let you know, I mean then you can decide if you want to stay or not." She half heartedly laughed.

Kian grabbed her hands and looked her deep in the eyes.

"I'm not leaving. Ever."

Alaïa softly smiled.

"Lono and Lani are my half siblings." She paused, Kian nodded urging her to continue. "There's such a big age gap because I was a mistake. My parents didn't plan for me, like they did with the twins. My dad didn't plan for me at all." She chuckled. "When the twins were 12, my mom had an affair with my biological dad, who split once he found out she was pregnant. My dad, the twins dad, he couldn't even look at me. He refused to have anything to do with me and because of that, my mom acted the same way." She paused, her eyes filling with tears as she thought back to her early childhood. "When Lono and Lani turned 18, they gained custody of me and became my full time guardians, I was only 6. My parents didn't even put up a fight for me. They didn't want me. Nobody does."

Kian cupped her cheeks and wiped the stray tears away with his thumb, before softly whispering, 

"I want you."