forty seven

SWIMMING
14th September 2020

Kian had managed to persuade Alaïa to go to the beach with him again, but this time it was just them two.

He had just sat with her watching the sea, his arms wrapped around her waist as she rested against his chest. His head leaning on her shoulder.

"I hate that you have to leave in a week." Alaïa muttered and let out a long breath. Her eyes filled with tears just at the thought.

"I know." Kian whispered, "I do too."

"I love you." She allowed a few tears to roll down her cheeks. She was going to miss the boy dearly.

"I love you too." Kian placed a light kiss on her cheek. "Please don't cry, baby."

"I'm sorry." She whispered and wiped her eyes. Kian just held her tighter. "I jus-"

Kian hated seeing her upset. But Jc was already getting on his back about when they were next filming. He knew at some point he would have to leave Hawaii.

"I understand." Kian slowly stood up and grabbed her hands. He pulled the girl up and twirled her around. "I'm taking you swimming."

Alaïa instantly shook her head and tried to move away from Kian. His arms wrapped around her waist and pulled her closer to him.

"You're going to be safe. I won't let anything happen to you." He paused. "We can go slow. Do you trust me?"

Alaïa thought for a minute. She anxiously chewed on her bottom lip. She trusted Kian. Of course she did, but she didn't trust the water.

"You won't let go of me?" She questioned in a shaky tone. Kian's eyes softened at the girl.

"Never. We can go at your own pace." He whispered and placed a light kiss on her head.

Alaïa's heart raced the closer she got to the water. She could hear the sound of the waves more clearly now and the sand had turned soggy beneath her feet, a feeling she had began to hate.

"Look, it's okay." Kian said as he stood in the water, just allowing his feet to be covered.

Alaïa nodded and stepped forward. She clung into his body and hid her face in his chest.

"You're doing so well." Kian whispered into her hair. His eyes flickered up to the house where both Lono and Lani were stood on the balcony watching.

Kian took a step back, the water now at his knees. Alaïa looked up to him with wide eyes. Kian smiled and gave her a small encouraging nod. Alaïa looked back at the shore, everything was safe there.

She thought about Elizabeth and how she and herself almost drowned not too far from this spot.

She had to do this. Kian was so proud of her already. She wanted to make him proud. She took another step closer to Kian.

"I can't-" She panicked and jumped up into his arms. The water was too high. Her legs wrapped around his torso and her arms around his shoulders. "Please don't let me go."

"I'm not going to let you go baby." Kian whispered wrapping his arms around her waist. "I'm taking a step back." He whispered making the water come up to his torso.

"Kian." Alaïa panicked, her grip on him tightening.

"Breathe," He whispered, "We're okay. We're safe." taking another step back.

The water came up to Alaïa's waist and Kian's elbows. "Kian this can't be safe." She whispered burring her head into his neck.

"I promise you, you're safe with me." Kian whispered, the beach was pretty deserted as it was late. But he knew Lono and Lani were still watching. "When you're ready, release your legs from my torso." He muttered.

Alaïa nodded. She could do this. She'd got this. Slowly, Alaïa removed her legs from around Kian and placed them down on the sea bed.

"I did it." She whispered proudly. "Kian, I did it."

"I see, so does Lono and Lani." The boy said as he pointed towards the twins stood on the balcony. They both waved at their sister. "I'm so proud of you."

"I'm still terrified." She whispered to the boy, who wrapped his arms around her waist again. "Can we get out now?"

"Of course." Kian nodded, "Jump up." He said as tapped her thighs. Alaïa jumped up and Kian walked them out of the water.

"Lono, Lani! Did you see that?" Alaïa questioned with a giggle as she ran up to the house, Kian following closely behind. "Did you see?"

"I'm so fucking proud of you." Lono said as he grabbed the girl and pulled her into his chest. He didn't care that she was soaked from the water. He was so proud of his younger sister.

"We both are." Lani said as she hugged the pair.

Kian just smiled at the siblings. They were all extremely close. Alaïa reached out and pulled Kian into the hug.

Lono looked up to Kian and gave him a small appreciative nod. Nobody had got his sister in the water since that day.

Not until now.