Day 1

Karl

I rolled over in bed. 3:38 am. I groaned turning back over. It was a sleepless night last night. I had stayed up going over multiple different scenarios about how this month will go. All of which involve the death of someone close to me. 

Fuck. why does my mind do this to me? I grab my phone deciding to scroll through Twitter. Most of the social media influencers are wishing everyone a piece of good luck along with saying goodbye to everyone. It's depressing honestly, for them and the people who follow them. I transition my search to Facebook. I know it's a boomer app, but it's the only way I can communicate with some of my family. 

My distant cousins and other family had been posting about how they will support us through this time and how they love us no matter what. Uncle Ricky was even talking about how he knows we will all be safe and make it to Family dinner. He said that two years ago as well, how well did that turnout. 

I yawn, finally feeling exhausted. I plug my phone back in seeing the familiar charging screen appear. I stare at my home screen for a moment. It's a picture of me with my friend Chris, Chandler, and Mr. Beast. No one knows why he asks people to call him that, but we all just roll with it. I open our group chat and send an 'anyone up?' text. 

almost immediately Chris responds with a shot 'ya'. 

'I'mma miss y'all :(' Chandler sends. 

'Don't say that Chandler' I respond. Chandler was sort of clumsy, but he's made it this far. We all have. We talk for a while about different plans and strategies. We always plan to meet up and go out and slay, but we never actually follow through. Probably because my mother doesn't let me leave the house. 

'I'm going to try to sleep a little guys' I wind up saying after an hour. I'm met with a bunch of okays and whatevers. I roll my eyes clicking on Spotify, playing my chill vibes playlist. I set my phone down as sweater weather begins to play. I close my eyes hoping to finally fall asleep...

--

"Wake up Karl."

I open my eyes slightly seeing my mom standing at the edge of my bed. I groan slightly, remembering what today was. 

"I'm up," my annoyed tone clearly got to her. she walked over and ripped the blanket off my body. I curled in on myself, I forget that she shuts all heating off to save money. I give in to her wishes standing up with a large stretch. The bones in my back cracking and popping. I look to my mom, finally noticing her worried stance. I walk over and hug her, peeking at the time. 12:30.

I sigh. pulling away I give her a light kiss on the forehead. I trudge out of the bedroom, the hallway seems even darker now that we have boarded up all the windows. I walk into the bathroom, looking at myself in the mirror. My hair was all messy and slept on. My face had pillow marks from the night before. I splash my face with cold water, the feeling waking me up. 

I make my way to the kitchen slowing when I see the family pictures. The pictures with Sami, dad, and the rest of us. Sami was so young only 13. She didn't deserve to die. She didn't deserve to be taken. I stopped in front of my favorite family picture. It's dad in his dress uniform holding baby Sami. She looked so peaceful and innocent. 

I tear my mind away knowing I need to stay positive, not only for me but for my mom as well. I have to stay strong for her as well. 

--

Sapnap

-

Sleeping in the backseat of a pickup truck that wasn't meant to have a backseat is difficult. The seats are like small elementary school lunch seats. I had no room for my legs, not to mention that we were in stop-and-go traffic. The issue wasn't that I couldn't sleep more as that I needed to. I had to drive once we got on the road. 

My mother nor father knew how to drive using maps so I have to guide us up to my grandma's house. For now, though we were still in Texas. it was almost 1:00 before we made it into Arkansas. We had the news on the radio, on a Texas station. All the reporters wished everyone good luck and said goodbye to their families. Some reporters are crazier than Texans themselves. 

We had managed to find a rest stop to switch drivers and stretch our legs. I stepped out of the back, well more like fell. My legs felt like jello from keeping them so close to my body. I yawned widely feeling my body wake up slightly after sitting stagnant for hours. I helped my mom into the backseat, feeling incredibly bad that we stuck her back there.

I climbed into the driver's seat, moving the seat up slightly since I happen to be the shortest in the family. I put the car in drive, pulling onto the highway. We were lucky to get ahead of the traffic in Arkansas. Probably because most people in the south are incredibly stubborn and refuse to leave their homes. I pressed play on google maps and Siri's voice rang loud. 

"Stay on Highway 78 for 100 miles," I groan, this is going to be a long trip. 

---

It was about 6 pm by the time we made it to my grandparent's house. She lives on the southern tip of South Carolina in a small cabin house. I found it pretty stupid to go into the woods with no escape, but I guess I've lived this long. I pulled into the long twisty driveway, the dark wooden log house comes into vision. We have a few days, hopefully, before the outbreak reaches us. After helping my family unload the luggage I begin to unload mine. 

Mom and dad had decided they needed to bring a bunch of unnecessary knickknacks so unloading all their stuff took forever. I was finally able to step outside and grab my duffel bag. The sun was already setting. I grabbed my bag and brought it to the spare room. The house was very small, but they somehow managed to weasel two spare rooms in the attic. 

I pulled my phone charge and blanket out of my bag. I am always too cold without my fleece blanket, besides it smells like home. I chose the room with a window, it was small but comforting. I moved the light bed closer so I could look outside. It was almost completely dark. After today is when the fight for survival starts. 

I pulled out a small notebook I had brought with me and scratched one tally. I closed my eyes breathing deeply. 

"Day one."