Day 6

Karl

--

I felt myself stir, the smell of eggs and bacon filled my senses. I opened my eyes, I took in the beautiful view off the cliff. Trees high and low, along with hills scattered on the horizon covered in a thin layer of fog. I yawned, stretching slightly. I had been propped against the door, my legs stretched across the seat. I ran a hand through my hair as I sat up in the passenger's seat. My gaze wandered out towards the location of the smell. 

Sapnap had built a small campfire, metal grates were placed atop the fire along with a small pan. I looked over towards sapnap. He had changed into a different t-shirt and cleaner jeans. I laughed, I wouldn't have noticed the difference, except his last pair of jeans had a hole on the knee. 

'Kill'

I heard an odd voice, barely a whisper. I looked around confused. I shrugged it off I was probably just hearing things. I pulled the rearview mirror to face me. My face was still spotted with dirt and grime. My hair was dirty and all fluffed in the wrong direction. I tried to do my best to fix the mop on my hair, but it was no use. 

I groaned, pushing the door of the truck open. I heard a slight gasp from Sapnap as the door creaked. He turned around quickly eyes wide. When he saw it was only me his expression softened. He took a deep breath before speaking. 

"Good morning, I made us breakfast," He held out a paper plate with an egg and a few pieces of bacon. "It's definitely better than an MRE. Besides we needed some good protein. I grabbed the plate, grabbing a small fork out of a paper box. I laughed if we weren't in an apocalypse this would honestly feel like camping.

"Where did you get all this stuff?" I asked after swallowing a bite of egg. 

"I remembered that we had an 'in case of emergency' box in the back of the truck. My parents usually refill it about every year at the beginning of October. So, while you were sleeping I just grabbed it," His eyes scanned the horizon before meeting mine, a slight smile playing on his lips. "How did you sleep by the way?"

I felt my face heat up slightly. I felt silly, He had only asked a simple question. Even though the way he asked made me feel all warm inside like he actually cared. I thought over the question trying to remember if anything had happened that was remotely interesting. 

"Good, you? Any nightmares?" 

He shook his head taking a bite of bacon. I followed suit munching down on the bacon. It was rather tasty, not too overcooked nor undercooked. Perfect. 

"I slept pretty well. I mean besides having a person laying against my chest all night," He smirked slightly looking back at the fire. I choked on a piece of bacon, my face heating up. I felt an uncontrollable embarrassed smile appear on my face. I looked down at my food taking another bite. Occasionally glancing over at the boy. He was staring into the horizon, seemingly thinking. 

I finished my food, following his gaze onto the tree line. The trees were pine, scattered so close together I don't think the forest would get any light. The fog had dispersed completely by now, revealing more distant trees. It was beautiful. 

"Down that way, there is a small clear water pond if you want to wash off. You are still covered in dirt," Sapnap giggled slightly. I followed his gesture down a small trail. I could faintly see the water through the trees. 

I nodded standing. I threw my plate into the fire, the flames engulfing the paper almost immediately. Sapnap handed me a small bag, I opened it to see basic, cheap shampoo and conditioner. Also a small bar of soap, he handed me one of those towels that barely works. I smiled, looking up into his eyes and away quickly. I reached into the truck, grabbing some clothing before following the trail.