Day 3 (Pt 1)

-
Samsung Refrigerator

My sleep-deprived body aches. I was used to having little sleep since I usually stay up all night with Dream and George, but something about being stressed out changes the whole mood.

We've been sitting in the bright living room in silence for four hours... just waiting for something to happen. We had all the weapons laid in front of us.

We had all the guns we've ever owned, along with all the knives. I knew how to properly use a gun and I've been perfecting my knife skills. The years of playing manhunt in the woods have finally come on handy.

I sighed looking back at the dark television. I caught a glimpse of myself, more like the silhouette. The tufts of my hair were visible, making me look more disheveled than I would've liked.

I noticed something shift behind me. A shadow just shifting slightly to the left. I then noticed the slight glare the rising sun had on the black television.

I felt a lump form in my throat as I put the pieces together. I felt my hands start to shake slightly as I reached in front of me slowly. I didn't dare take my eyes off the shadow in fear of it surprises us.

My fingertips graced over the barrel of a pistol. I grabbed the grip, feeling for the clip. We had loaded a few guns just in case. The creature shifted again, this time so I could see its eyes. They were red and orange. Just like fire.

The creature took notice of me as well, as it began to walk quickly towards me. I took a deep breath trying to calm my anxiety. I wrapped a shaky hand around the gun placing my finger on the trigger.

I quickly turned the safety off. In a swift motion, I stood up, turned around, and shot. My eyes went fuzzy after the shot rang out. I could hear a faint grunt from the monster and a surprised yelp from my mother.

My head pounded. It was like a heartbeat, each beat was more intense than the last. I was so tired. I stumbled back slightly into something soft. I shook my head, trying to get out of this panic stage.

I dropped the gun. The creature laid on the ground its eyes that glowed like fire were now lifeless and grey. I felt a hand grab my shoulder, pulling me close.

I turned to see my mother scared face right before I was pulled into a warm embrace. I couldn't remember the last time I was truly hugged. I closed my eyes sinking into her shoulder.

"You need to go..." she whispered in my ear. What? I stiffened in confusion. She pulled back from the hug, placing a warm hand on my face and the other on my shoulder.

"Mom... what?" My voice came out slow, cracking slightly. Her eyes got soft, flashes of sadness glazed over.

"It's the only wa-"

She was cut off by the ringing of another gunshot. This one was from my father. I looked over at the clock, 6:53.

"I need to be here with you guys," I tried to sound tough, but I couldn't hold back a tear. I was so confused.

"No. We lost someone already. We don't need to lose another child to this. You'd be better off alone. Here take these," she picked up the gun I had just dropped. She quickly put the safety back on, grabbing the box of bullets.

Wait...

"A-another child?" I was still. My body afraid to move, another gunshot rang out as my mother looked up at me. Her eyes now sad, tears gracefully fell.

She reached into her pocket and pulled out a small piece of paper. She kissed it before placing it in the small grey box that held the bullets. I rose an eyebrow, still afraid to move.

"Toni they are everywhere," my dad's voice was shaky. It scared me. My father was never overly aggressive. I actually never knew if he had the emotion of fear.

"Take the truck... go grab your bag and leave hurry," she pushed me towards the stairs. I looked back at them for a moment before rushing upstairs. I felt eyes on me the second I had gotten into my room.

I pushed the feeling away before stuffing the few clothes I had sprawled out on the floor into the packed bag. I threw the strap over my shoulder, turning to leave.

Red.

The eyes were so close. I could practically feel the heat that they held. All the lost memories, all the hatred. I felt bad for a moment, before realizing the severity of the issue.

I dodged one of the dark hands as it reached for me. I quickly pulled the gun up, turning the safety off. I quickly took a shot.

The creature let out a foul grown, it almost sounded feminine. I closed my eyes slightly, my emotions starting to cloud my mind. I felt a cold hand grasp my wrist.

I looked down at the creature. The red eyes had shifted to dark emerald green. The eyes softened almost as to apologize before finally becoming a lifeless grey. The hand slipped off my wrist, landing with a slight thud on the cold ground.

I quickly hopped over the body rushing downstairs. When I reached the bottom I was instantly pulled into a bear hug. I looked up to see my father, tears streaking down his face.

"Make us proud Nick."

My words betrayed me. I was unable to speak as my broken father held me. I held him close for a moment. The moment was quickly taken away when he pushed off me. He pointed towards the truck handing me the keys. I didn't want to leave, if I was going down I wanted to with family. Dad pushed me a little harder and pointed again.

I sighed walking back towards the door. I closed my eyes sighing. I turned around and sprinted outside quickly hopping in the truck. I saw shadows slink into the deep thicket of the tree line trying to escape the burning sunlight.

I put the car in drive quickly speeding down the gravel driveway. I looked in the mirror, the small dark house became smaller before being engulfed in the trees.

I let my emotions finally free themselves. The tears streamed, blurring my vision slightly. I pulled onto the road, it was barren. I pulled out my phone, clicking on maps.

A place I've always wanted to go?

I have always wanted to know what it would be like in Virginia. I put in the directions carefully, glancing up occasionally to make sure I didn't hit anything. I typed in Virginia.

This was going to be a long trip.

Multicolored boi...

Everything had improved since midnight. I held my mother as she slept, worrying about her slightly. She had been fussing over my cut since it happened. I assured her I was fine, not wanting to worry her.

I hadn't been able to sleep, but I was used to sleepless nights. Reoccurring nightmares have been common as of lately. I felt mom shift again, finally waking up. She stood up quickly walking into the kitchen. I watched her as she carefully turned on the sink. It was day 3 and she already looked rough. I looked away, checking to see how bright it had gotten. The sun was about halfway up, 7:45 pm.

Last night was rough. I recalled the events, all the waiting. The pressure, the nervousness, the intensity, the fear. I had never had to kill something before, we've always been safe in the house. We always survived. I didn't like the feeling that it gave me. I hated that I got a sense of pride from killing someone. I know it was a shell of what the person was, but it felt wrong.

The time passed by quickly. It was about midday now. Mom was in the shower, feeling safe. We thought midday would be the safest. We thought that after dusk we'd be safe. It truly shows the strength of these creatures.

I heard a yell come from the bathroom. I quickly ran over, grabbing my knife. When I arrived at the door I saw a sight I didn't think I should ever have to see.

"Oh, no mom..."

So this is day 3 part 1 😊
Sorry for a late chapter normally I would've updated sooner. I've just lowkey been doubting my writing skills. Especially after reading Heat Waves.

I wasn't really having writer's block more as a writing crisis yk? 😂 it made sense in my head 😂

Well, I hope you enjoyed this chapter...