04 | unknown roads

"How did...did he know?" Mom stammers.

I left my bag downstairs

"Mom, I'm gonna go and see what he needs," I say and Mom's hand squeezes tighter around mine.

"No, don't go."

I slowly pull my hand away from her grip. "It's okay, Mom. I can take care of myself. He hasn't hurt me till now."

"Maya—"

I get up from the bed, avoiding Mom's attempt to get up and pull me back. She struggles and I want to listen to her but my mind tells me to leave quietly or else Panther will come here. I open the door and force myself out, blocking Mom's gasps of fear.

The climb down the stairs is terrifying and I keep twisting my fingers around the hem of my T-shirt. I spot Panther at the end of the staircase, leaning against the wall. He sees me and moves to face me. I notice my bag which he has in his hold and curse my carelessness.

"Give that back."

I try to hide my nervousness with a stronger voice. Giving a glimpse of my fear will only act as fuel for him.

"Come here and take it yourself," he grits his teeth.

His eyes are red with the alcohol intake and he reeks of that. I take a deep breath, holding my anger as I climb down the stairs to stop in front of him. I move my hand to take the bag from him but he pulls it behind his back.

"Go and make me a sandwich first," he pronounces.

I swallow a gulp as I nod my head before walking past him to head over to the kitchen. I hear his heavy footsteps follow me like a predator following prey. I cross my fingers, praying he doesn't hurt me. He has never touched me before because of Mom. I believe somewhere he knows that if he tries such a thing, Mom won't think twice before killing him. Even though he hits her, somewhere within him the predator is scared.

We enter the kitchen and he pulls a chair out from the dining table. I avoid his gaze as I pull out the ingredients to start making his sandwich. There is a clash of thunder and the sound of rain pattering over our roof breaks the eerie silence of the kitchen. I concentrate on my work, and my only aim is to get my bag and phone back.

"You have gained weight," Panther comments suddenly. "You look better now. More plump features."

I feel my skin crawl and turn around to lean against the counter, gathering quickly that he is talking about my ass. I look at him for a fleeting second then look back at the sandwich. I wish I can choke him with it instead of making him eat it.

"The front looks good too," he continues with a smirk and I tremble at the sound of his ghostly voice.

I finish the sandwich and take the plate to him. He follows my movements with his lecherous gaze, making my stomach boil with dizziness. Having arranged his dinner, I take a step back and forward my hand again to take my bag from him. This time, he lets me, but just as I am about to pull it from his hand, he grips my wrist, making me jump.

"Hey!"

I try to pull back but his hold is tight.

"Your mother ain't gonna live long, kid. Then I'll make sure you don't miss her."

I stop moving at his words and stare at him with my eyes widened. His expression is malicious and I am convinced that he is going to kill Mom. The atmosphere around me suddenly feels tighter and Mom's words echo in my head.

(Run away. Please)

She knows he will kill her. That's why she has been telling me to run. Tears blur my vision as my heart feels heavy with the weight of this realization. His hold on me loosens and he leans back in his chair, picking up the sandwich from the plate.