Chapter 49

"Holyfuckingcowonaflyingpogostick" Sana spits it out as one word as she gapes at Nayeon.

Nayeon who's leaning up to retrieve something from her cupboard, quickly pulls down her sweater.

"Please don't tell Jih-" She doesn't even get to finish her sentence because Sana is yelling and calling for her.

Jihyo frowns as she takes a look at the pale skin that's purple, torn and bleeding near the ribs.

"How did this even happen?" She demands, her voice laced with concern and disappointment that Nayeon has somehow hurt herself again.

Mina has her arms crossed over chest and chews on her lips as Sana applies Betadine to the large bruise.

Nayeon is about to utter a lie when Tzuyu interrupts. "Judging by the wild flower I saw in the vase in Mina's room, I bet Nayeon fell on her arse multiple times before she got it for her."

Nayeon hides her face with her hand and groans. She feels Mina's eyes on her and avoids it because she doesn't want to see the disappointment there.

She only looks up when Jeongyeon and Chaeyoung stumble into the room. Chaeyoung's lipstick is smudged and Jeongyeon is wearing that shade on her lips.

"Mina." Nayeon stutters, wanting to grab her attention before the younger girl sees what she's noticed.

"Nayeon-chan." Mina comes to sit by her side and using that window of opportunity Nayeon narrows her gaze at Jeongyeon and points with her eyes to Chaeyoung's lips.

Jeongyeon quickly wipes her lips on her sleeves and Chaeyoung fixes the smudge.

"Oww." Nayeon yelps as Sana stabs at the wound with more Betadine.

Mina takes her hand and rubs soothing circles on it as Sana cleans the bruise and covers it with a bandage.

"This is why you disappeared yesterday." Dahyun exclaims.

"You're slow." Tzuyu chuckles dryly.

Nayeon doesn't dare look at Mina after that.

She sulks and whines non stop when Jihyo declares she's not going to the restaurant with them. Jeongyeon pats her arms soothingly when one by one they filter out of the dorm to go for dinner.

"Hey, cheer up. I'm here to keep you company." She smiles at the older girl who sighs heavily when the door shuts before them.

Nayeon bites her lips as she looks for a way to start the conversation that's in her head.

"Something you want to say?" Jeongyeon prods because she knows Nayeon like the back of her hand. She's only quiet when she's got something on her mind.

Nayeon inhales deeply as she turns to her side to look at Jeongyeon in the eye. "More like something you have to say. To Mina."

Jeongyeon slumps back on the couch, nibbling on her fingernails. "I'm not ready to break her heart."

"It's going to be broken anyway." Nayeon's voice is full of anguish and despair. For Mina and for herself. "It's better she hears it from you instead of finding it out herself."

The door opens and they stop the conversation when Mina walks in through the door.

"You're not going for dinner?" Jeongyeon inquires.

"I changed my mind because I'm tired." Mina answers quietly, hanging her coat in the closet.

"I'm going to make dinner for myself, do you want some?" She asks in her soft voice, as she sits on the chair and struggles to take off her heels.

Jeongyeon frowns at her. "You just said you're tired."

Mina flushes a little. "Tired to spend the night out. But not tired enough to skip a meal."

Jeongyeon gets up from the couch, sits on her knees before Mina and untangles the straps on her heels. "I'll help you with dinner. Knowing that one over there, she'll call for handicapped rights for the next three days."

Nayeon throws a scowl in her direction.

Jeongyeon blows her an air kiss in return.

Mina goes to her room to get changed and comes back wearing a short night shirt. She stops midway to the kitchen and turns to look at Nayeon. Her voice is warm and affectionate as she asks, "Does black bean noodles sound good to you?"

Nayeon looks behind her back. There's no one there. Mina is definitely asking her. And blackbean noodles is definitely her favorite food. How could she say no to that?

She nods her head mutely.

"I prefer spicy noodles." Jeongyeon moans.

Mina shakes her head with a smile and pats the taller girl's cheeks. "I'll make that too."

Jeongyeon is overcome with guilt because Mina is being sweet and considerate and she's going to give nothing but pain in return.

"I love you Minaya." She says and hugs the girl who looks confused for a second but willingly hugs her back.

Nayeon squeezes her eyes shut as a pain sears through her. The bruise in her ribs feels nothing compared to how bruised her heart is knowing what's going to come, knowing the inevitable.