thirteen.

Christmas had passed in an ultimately uneventful haze. A jumper from Molly, a new deck of exploding snap cards from Fred, a blow job from Bill, a new journal from George (and of course a quick fuck that morning), some socks like the ones he always stole from Cedric, and a new pair of quidditch gloves from Remus. Harry, Ron, and Hermione had all sent him some small knickknacks as well.

Though, there was one present under the tree that morning that perplexed him. It was a brand new potions set, the only indication of who it was from being that they'd first sent it to Grimmauld Place before Remus owled it along with his own present. Even as he was now wandering Diagon Alley for this year's school supplies, he couldn't stop thinking about it. Who on earth could've sent him something so expensive? Let alone known he needed a new potions set without reading his mind. The only person who knew about his current, partially destroyed one, was Cedric cause he'd been there to witness Orion accidentally melt half the thing when he broke the worst possible combination of ingredients. But Cedric didn't have the money for that, even if his family was well-off.

"Merlin, Ri! Let me know next time we're playing human bowling with children." George chastised as he pulled Orion back by the back of his jumper. He was about 3 inches from plowing down a group of 11 year olds too busy being bewildered by the brand new sight of Diagon alley to pay attention.

Orion blinked a few times and looked around. "Oh.. Right, sorry.." he mumbled, continuing walking to Ollivander's.

There was one slightly eventful thing that happened on Christmas. Orion had left his wand lying on the sofa and Ginny had sat on it, snapping the poor thing in half. He could've cried, he'd had that wand 5 years and now he'd have to get accustomed to a new one before his OWLs. Not to mention the fact that he was just rather attached to his wand. Ollivander had said it bore resemblance to the wand of Newt Scamander when it had chose him at 11.

"Meet me at the quidditch supply shop when you're done, old Ollie doesn't quite like me." George chuckled and snuck a quick kiss to Orion's cheek before wandering off.

"Oh dear." Ollivander said as soon as Orion walked into the shop. "Your wand's been broken, hasn't it? Your magic wand is going a bit wild." he hummed as he hurried to the back to sort out some wands for him.

"Yeah.. Muggle lightbulb shattered when I walked past." Orion admitted sheepishly. "Feels like being a kid again."

Ollivander nodded as he took down a wand from the shelf. "Wands act as leashes on the user's magic, reigns it in and gives it a focus point." he nodded and handed a wand over carefully. "Try this one."

Orion gingerly took the wand and gave it a timid wave. He flinched when a book on the counter exploded in a flurry of pages and smoke. Ollivander quickly took the wand back and lightly put it back in its case.

"I should've remembered that unicorn hair doesn't seem to take to you." he mumbled more to himself than the boy in his shop as he hurried to the back once more. "Here we are." Ollivander handed over another wand.

He bit his lip lightly as he gave this wand the slightest flick, freezing in anticipation when nothing happened. Suddenly an apple flew in through the open door and narrowly missed hitting Ollivander. The man caught it, sighing as he took the wand back. He lingered amongst the wands longer this time, and he almost seemed worried when he handed the wand over.

It was a dark hawthorn, long and flexible. The handle had been hollowed out and filled with some type reflective white stone. Small, yet intricate runes had been etched to wrap around where the handle met the shaft. Immediately Orion knew this was it, he didn't need the soft light and burst of air to tell him. He could feel it.