The Mirror (12)

Bill's POV:

All week we had been doing activities together and I decided to give ourselves a break. Pine Tree's been thinking about his family a lot lately though...

I walked by the hallways and stopped when I saw Pine Tree's room. He's been in there all morning, I wonder if-

I then started to hear crying coming from inside the room. I cleared my throat and knocked at the door, "Um, Pine Tree?" I asked.

"Come in." Pine Tree responded.

I opened the door and I saw Pine Tree on his bed wiping away his tears.

"Is everything alright? You didn't come for breakfast."

"I- I'm fine." he said, but I could tell he was lying, "I just wasn't hungry."

"You've been crying."

"No, really Bill, I'm fine." he insisted.

"You're not fooling anybody, so tell me what's wrong!" I said sternly as I grabbed his hand.

Pine Tree's eyes widened with fear and I quickly let go of him, "Sorry." I said, "But please tell me what's wrong Pine Tree."

Pine Tree bit his lip, "Do you promise you won't get mad?" he asked.

"I promise." I assured, "Just tell me what's troubling you so I can know how to make you happy again.

Pine Tree took in a deep breath and blurted out the answer, "I miss my family!"

What?

"E- excuse me?"

"My FAMILY Bill! I miss them a lot."

That was unexpected.

"B- but we've been having so much fun the past few days! I taught you how to ice skate, I showed you how to make a strike, and you even forced me to read a BOOK!" I said, "I thought things were going well between us."

"Are- are you not happy here?"

"No, it's not that Bill." Pine Tree said, "You've been really nice to me and I appreciate that! But... you said you'd do anything to make me happy."

I did, didn't I?

"Well, like I said I would-"

"Then let me see my family." Pine Tree interrupted, "Please."

"Y- you want to leave?"

"Not forever! Just for a moment! Please, Bill, I HAVE to see them." he pleaded.

I thought about it but then gave in after seeing how adorable he looked when he begged.

"Very well Pine Tree, I'll lift your sorrows," I said as I lifted his chin.

"So you'll let me see my family?!" he asked excitedly.

"Well, not exactly," I answered and snapped my fingers. I handed him a mirror and he looked at it with confusion.

"It's a magic mirror and it shows the most beautiful mortal in the multiverse!" I said with a smile.

Pine Tree deadpanned at me and lifted his brow.

"Ok fine, it can make you see your family too." I said, rolling my eye, "But it shows your beauty! And it shows MINE very very well."

Pine Tree rolled his eyes and smiled, "So how does it work?"

"Tell it what you want to see and it will show it to you."