𝟏𝟑

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

─── BLUES RUN THE GAME!

            NOTHING WAS BETTER THE NEXT DAY, DESPITE ORION'S WISHES

            NOTHING WAS BETTER THE NEXT DAY, DESPITE ORION'S WISHES. She didn't sleep well that night, or really at all, due to her insufferable fright. Every time she closed her eyes and rested her head against the soft pillow, she'd see the brutal scenes she'd previously experienced. Flashes of the slashed body, the blood soaking the carpet, and the alpha dragging her body overwhelmed her. Orion would squeeze her eyes and try her best to think of nice things, but nothing was strong enough to combat the gruesomeness. So, she'd open her eyes and stare numbly at the wall while a few tears trickled down and brushed against her trembling lip.

Eventually, morning rolled around, and a timid orange glow lightened up her room, followed by the loud sounds of those leaving. Mornings in Beacon Hills belonged to adults rushing to get to their jobs and children drowsily getting to school. Usually, Orion was one of them, hurrying to get onto the school bus despite her tiredness. However, today was different, and her father had let her stay home because of it. Orion listened to them get into their cars and onto their buses, unable to feel glad that she wasn't.

A yawn slipped past her lips as Orion walked back into her bedroom, shutting the bathroom door behind her. She wore the same clothes she fell asleep in, a pair of grey sweatpants and an oversized shirt. Her hair was tied into a puffed ponytail. She crawled into bed, pulling the covers over her body before cuddling with her stuffed moose.

To pass the time, she scrolled through her phone, seeing article after article about the events in the video store. It was all anyone could talk about. Another body left maimed after yet another animal attack. Orion wondered how believable it was. That a rogue mountain lion was lurking around the woods, only coming out to kill. She wondered how long this would go on. The attacks, the killings. How long until it became enough?

Just as Orion clicked on another detailed news article, a knock sounded on her opened door. She didn't bother looking back, already knowing who it was. "Good morning," her father greeted, leaning against the doorframe. Orion mumbled morning in response, clicking off her phone. "You want anything for breakfast?"