Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Mrs. Radley tugged at the dish towel, using it to dry her damp hands as she stood over the sink. She was careful not to let the towel catch on her gold bracelet that moved up and down her arm.

She hadn't realized she was deep in her thoughts until she heard the foyer door open just off of the kitchen.

She moved quickly, walking around the corner to see her husband walking towards his office.

She glanced over at the clock near the stairs and sighed slightly before rolling the sleeves of her white sweater down and carrying herself in the direction of her husband.

She was surprised to find the door open, which could only mean he was making a quick stop.

She took a moment to study him, to read his body language. After being with him for more than half of her life, she understood him more than anybody else could.

"You didn't come home last night." She finally spoke, her feet carrying her through the doorway.

Mr. Radley turned to face her, his eyes expressing the tiredness he felt. "I told you there was a possibility that I wouldn't be home last night."

"It looks like you won't be here today either." She responded, glancing at the briefcase he had been packing.

Mr. Radley sighed. "A few things have come up." His eyes glanced to his wife's gold bracelet, but only for a moment. However, this action did not escape Mrs. Radley.

She reached for the gold band impulsively. "Is it-"

"No. Nothing like that." Mr. Radley replied, his voice stern. He reached for his case, closing it and locking it quickly. "Is Alexis okay?"

Mrs. Radley nodded. "She seems fine. From what Pattie has told me, Alexis and Justin have been communicating more. Hopefully whatever this is will blow over soon."

Mr. Radley nodded, his face solemn.

Mrs. Radley sighed and approached her husband, her hand reaching up towards his face to cup his cheek. "She's going to be fine, Jacob."

Mr. Radley's eyes closed for a moment before giving a stiff nod. When his eyes opened again, Mrs. Radley could read his expression clearly.

"Jacob, you have done nothing wrong. You have made no mistake."

"She's our daughter and she's not happy. It was my job to secure her a future of happiness and here she is again, living under our roof, Melanie. I continue to fail her."

"You haven't failed her. She's happy with him. They're just struggling right now, but they will get past this."

"And if they don't?"

"They will, Jacob. Trust me."

Mr. Radley nodded again, a small smile overcoming his face. It was a rare sight to most, but not for Mrs. Radley. This was her smile. The smile he always gave her.

She moved her hand away from his cheek as his face dipped down to capture her lips for a moment.

"I'll try to be home tonight, I promise."

Mrs. Radley nodded. "Thank you." She stepped away from her husband, walking back around the desk and towards the door. "I'm going to wake Alexis."           

Mr. Radley nodded. "Tell her I love her for me. And that if she needs to talk to me I'm here."

"She's not going to try to leave him, Jacob. I assure you." Mrs. Radley spoke before turning towards the door.