Break (Connor x Reader)

Connor didn’t get angry.

That was the one emotion you simply never saw from the android. Sure he’d been frustrated and irritated and annoyed. You’d seen Connor get like that before, with furrowed brows and sharpened words. But you’d never ever seen him snap, not before today.

The police station was fairly empty. It was nearing the night shift, and most officers were heading home. There was a calm settling within the bullpen as one by one, human and android alike packed up their things and left offering waves and mumbles goodbye. The air in the room was cold and empty by 6 pm, a few of the lights flickered out in uninhabited areas like the breakroom. Here, it was only you, Connor and Detective Reed.

The past week had been a stressful one, with an anti-android riot breaking out in one of the busier districts of the city, a few officers were hurt while trying to protect androids caught in the crossfire. With androids gaining more rights by the day, those who felt prejudiced against them became more vocal and violent with their attacks. You felt lucky that these groups were becoming less sympathetic in the eyes of the public by the day, but you were sure your android friends and co-workers were still antsy. Who wouldn’t be?

Taking a pause from your work you took a moment to stretch your aching muscles, raising your hands and cracking your fingers as you cast a nonchalant glance over to Connor’s desk. Unlike the last few times you’d looked over at him (it had been more than a few) Connor seemed to be reading a magazine on a tablet. With one hand he held it in front of his face, the other resting on his cheek, propping himself up with his elbow. The sight of him taking a few minutes to himself brought a smile to your face. He was always working hard, you felt he deserved a break. This was not a shared opinion apparently, as Reed walked back from one of the vending machine, as disgusted sneer adorning his generally sour features.

“Are you taking a fucking break?” Gavin nearly sounds horrified as he stops at Connors desk. You feel a lurch in your stomach as Connor looks up, placing the tablet gently on his desk.

“Yes?” He asks in a calm voice. You know he doesn’t want any trouble, but that’s difficult with someone like Reed. The man was born looking for conflict. Anyone he could bully or demean he’d lock onto without a single shred of remorse.

“You’re a machine, you don’t need to fucking rest- get back to work, you’re gonna have us lagging behind,” Gavin swore at Connor, knocking over a cup full of pencils, making them clatter to the floor. The loud noise is startling, but the least of your problems. You knew how Gavin got when he was stressed, and you were not about to stand by and let him get violent. Jumping to your feet and out of your chair, you failed to notice the way Connor’s jaw set.

“Reed, would you fuck off?” You yell, stalking over to take Connors side. Reed rolls his eyes and scoffs, turning his attention to you. Well, at least he isn’t hassling Connor.

“He’s made of plastic- He can handle it! Huh, can’t you, you prick?” Nevermind. You rest a hand on Connor’s shoulder and narrow your eyes at Reed. At first, the android says nothing, sitting still with the LED he never removed flickering wildly on his temple. 3 seconds pass, and you wait for him to retort with some calm sass. Connor does no such thing as he stands up suddenly, slamming his hands on the desk with frightening force. Both you and Gavin flinch.

“I’m fucking things up? You point guns to the heads of your co-workers, and I’m the one causing problems?” Connor’s voice is raised, in a tone that you’d only ever heard him use during investigations. In those instances you knew he was putting on an act, trying to make someone talk. Right now you could hear his voice shaking, and the toxicity of the words. This wasn’t just anger, this was fury and it was real and visceral. Despite such a scary display, Gavin (ever the idiot) does not back down.