Part 1

"I'm so excited to have a pen pal! Spoiler: Pabu and I already miss you" Bolin said to Asami and Korra as they prepared to board a ship back to the Southern Water Tribe, Avatar Korra's homeland. Asami gripped the back of Korra's wheel chair and smiled at Mako and Bolin.

"We're going to miss you guys, too. We'll make sure to write back and keep you updated on how life is going." Asami said. Mako had his arms crossed and was trying to act cool. He was going to miss the girls. He had dated both of them before but now he was going to lose them both for who knows how long? They are his family as well as his best friends. "uh... good luck. I'll keep Republic City in check for you, Korra. Don't worry." The fire bender said awkwardly as he put a hand on the broken Avatar's shoulder.

Asami lead Korra up a ramp and they sat at the front of the ship looking out into the vast ocean in which they needed to cross. It was a long trip to the Southern Water Tribe, a half a world away. Korra looked sadly into the seemingly never ending abyss. Asami put a hand on Korra's knee and sat across from her friend. Korra didn't flinch at the touch but kept staring. "Korra?". Nothing. "Korra were going to start moving in a minute do you want to go down to your quarters to sleep?" Korra nodded softly and looked down.

Asami led her friend through the narrow halls of the ship and turned into Korra's room. She helped her up onto the bed as her legs hadn't regained any function and her arms were still weak. She pulled the thin blanket up to Korra's neck and rested a hand on her shoulder to comfort her. "Get some sleep. When you wake up I bet we'll be there".

"Ok" Korra whispered softly before drifting to sleep.

"AHHHHHHHH get off me. NOOO ZAHEER"

Asami shot awake at the screams of the Avatar across the hall. She opened her door as she rushed in to see what was disturbing her friend and found her crying loudly into her pillow. "shhhh Korra it's okay you're safe. I'm here Korra, it's okay. Shhhh" she cooed as she rubbed her friend's shaking back. She slowly started relaxing and the tears stopped. "I'm sorry Asami I didn't mean to wake you". "It's okay Korra, I couldn't sleep anyway". "Asami" Korra said softly, still not looking at the raven haired girl. "Yes?" "Can you stay with me in case I fall back asleep?"

"Of course" the non-bender said smiling softly.

Asami sat up in the small bed next to Korra, still rubbing her hand up and down the Avatar's back. Korra rolled over and put her head in Asami's lap. She slowly drifted back to sleep as she was exhausted. She hadn't slept through the night without any nightmares since the battle with the Red Lotus. Asami brushed Korra's short chestnut hair out of her face and behind her ear. She continued to stroke her hair softly and look down at her hurt friend. She loved Korra.

She never confessed her feelings for her because she didn't know how her friend would react. They had both dated Mako at some point or another but through the love triangle they formed Asami never hated Korra. In fact, she was jealous that she was with Mako and not her. She couldn't tell her this because it took a while for her to figure out exactly what she was feeling. It wasn't until she was carrying an unconscious Korra out of the Misty Palms Oasis on Naga that she realized she loved her more than just a friend. She was so scared of losing her in that moment that her mind went blank. After they were captured by the Earth Kingdom, Asami watched them tie up Korra and she wanted to free her so desperately.

The ship started to slow down and let out a loud horn as they began to reach the port of the Southern Water Tribe. The noise woke Korra up and her eyes slowly opened apathetically.

The ship slowed into the port and jolted to a stop. Asami helped Korra up out of her bed and into her wheelchair.

"Thank you"