Part 12

"Wake up!" Asami threw a glass of water into Korra's face and she was sleeping. 

"AHHHH" Korra screamed awake at the shock of the cold wetness and then grabbed her pounding head. "aawwgghhh my head".

"We need to talk." Asami said standing above her with her hand on her hip looking serious. Korra was so dizzy and hungover that she couldn't even think about talking about the events that unfolded the day and night before. She had called Bolin after Asami left since she assumed Mako hadn't come alone. The earth bender took her to a local dive bar and drank more than Bolin had ever seen. The duo always fed into each other's energy when they were drinking since they were both excited people. That on top of heartbreak caused Korra to take it too far. She didn't even remember going to Kya's to search for Asami. 

"'Sami.... cuddle me." Korra said stupidly. Asami's mouth gaped open in shock that Korra was being so dense. She walked into the bathroom and Korra heard her turn the water on. Asami came charging back with a full glass, ready to throw it at Korra again. "Hey Hey HEY! Knock it off!" Korra sat up shielding her face from the impending splash. "OH yeah Korra? You don't like the elements getting thrown at you?" Asami retorted. 

"Asami! My head hurts so bad can I please have a moment to recover!" the Avatar pleaded. Asami was unamused but realistically she knew Korra was right. "Fine. Sokka's at 6pm. If you're late I'm going back to Republic City tonight." Asami said and then walked out of the house. 

Korra sighed and then leaned back into the bed. She threw a pillow over her face and screamed in frustration which hurt her head. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Asami got to the restaurant first a few minutes early. She wore a tight and short black dress with a necklace made of expensive and rare black and gold diamonds from the Earth Kingdom. She checked her watch as it ticked to 5:57. She waved the server over and asked for scotch neat. He quickly scurried to get it as he remembered how much she had tipped the last few times she had visited. 

He came over with a tray and moved the glass onto the table diligently and Asami handed him a twenty. "Thank you... what's your name?" "Uh Teo" he responded. "Thank you Teo". Asami looked at her watch again. 5:59. She looked at the door waiting for Korra to come rolling through. Took a small sip of the liquor. 

6:02

Korra hadn't entered yet. Asami then uncharacteristically threw back the rest of the expensive liquid and held the glass up to Teo and pointed to it. He nodded and came with another. She threw that one back the same way and threw 100 yuans on the table. Grabbed her jacket and went to leave. 

As she was putting her jacket on Korra, on her own two legs, hobbled through the door. Clearly struggling but using all of her might to stay upwards. "ASAMI!" Korra yelled obnoxiously across the restaurant. Everyone went quiet and stared at the Avatar who was leaning on the doorway for support. Asami also looked but shook her head. 

"Wait Asami... no!" The Avatar stumbled a few steps and grabbed the back of a chair of a random patron and grunted at the effort to stay upright. "Asami please hear me out"

"Korra... I" Asami was disappointed. She thought about how coming down here was a big mistake. She should've just stayed in Republic City. 

"Asami please! Listen to me!" she cut her girlfriend off. "I need you to listen to me." The Avatar repeated, the entire restaurant still staring at the two women. 

"Asami Sato. Sorry its hard to speak I'm so exhausted from trying to run here but I kept tripping and falling. Asami..." She took a pause and Asami had her arms crossed around her stomach but decided to listen. 

"Asami... I love you. I always have. From the first time you took me on a ride in your Satomobile to when I gave you Aang's bracelet. I messed up and I hurt you. But you were dragging me! I am vulnerable right now. This is the first time I've walked in months and it's because I couldn't stand to lose you!" Tears were running down her face. 

"I can't live without you Asami. You're the only reason I've made any progress at all. I love the way you close your eyes when you laugh too hard. I love the way you grip your steering wheel to feel the vibrations of the engine. I love when you're all dirty from building machines. I love the way you sleep with your mouth open and love my family. You're a badass who could probably kick mine if I didn't use bending." Korra caught her breath and noticed Asami had tears forming in her eyes. The Avatar had almost no energy left in her as she fought her own body for it to function normally. 

She took a few weak steps closer to Asami. "I never meant to hurt you, I hope you know that. I never will again. As long as I live Asami Sato, I promise to be your protector. To only use my bending and my strength to protect you from harm and to not cause it."

Asami watched as Korra struggled down to her knees. Asami offered a hand to help but Korra said "I've got this". As soon as the heiress realized what was happening she put her hands over her mouth and more tears formed in her eyes.

"I'm not perfect but I want to build a perfect life with you. I want you more than I want anything else, even being the Avatar." She paused as tears welled up in her own eyes. Korra reached into her pocket and pulled out a thick blue betrothal necklace. The stoned that was attached on either end had symbols of all four elements engraved with the engineering symbol etched artistically into it.

 "Asami Sato... will you marry me?"

A thick silence carried throughout the room as the Avatar stared up at Asami. Asami stared back in silence with an undistinguishable expression. 

Korra started to fear the words that were to come out of her love's mouth. The silence continued and it was unbearable. Realistically it was only a few seconds but to Korra it felt like minutes. 

"Yes" Asami said confidently.